Preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kal12003

Preparation

Post by kal12003 »

How is everyone getting along? My daughter is at the stage now where she just wants the test over and done with and would quite happily sit it now! We have been doing 30mins of a GL paper each morning with a few days off in between. I'm now panicking we haven't done enough although I know in reality she has prepared as best she can.
Roll on the 6th of September!
Sparklecat

Re: Preparation

Post by Sparklecat »

For those who have prepared thoroughly and in plenty of time, there comes a point where there is nothing more to teach them. I saw it last year when marks rose then plateaued. This is the point to concentrate on speed and exam technique. Most of all, relax. You wouldn't have come this far if they weren't capable. Have a break for a week or two, then one final push. It'll all be fine.
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

Hard to know what my son got right or wrong last year, but I think the 3-D Spatial reasoning was something he struggled with and not sure if they are reflected in the GL Papers.
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

The other thing is the Kent County web site has a syllabus of what is covered in the test, might be worth making sure all areas have been covered
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

Hi
DS did Kent test this time last year. At this stage we used papers from ..... [edited by moderator]. They do a Kent specific one which is almost exactly the same in terms of question types, numbers of questions and timings. DS confirmed this after the test and said out of everything it was the most useful. Hope this helps. Good luck to your DD in September.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Really Louise23? Did you use the GL sample papers too. There are so many resources, the whole process is a minefield.
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

This is my third (of four) times through the process and I'm finding it much more stressful each time!!

DS is doing well so far although his maths results have started to plateau a bit, so we've had a break and done absolutely nothing for 10 days or so - I think they get to a point when they have all of the tools and over preparing can be a bit of a double edged sword as they get bored/careless as they just want to get it over with.

We'll do a bit on exam technique and going over a few old papers where he's made mistakes, but we won't do a huge amount more now - roll on the test, and good luck everyone!
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

ilelo wrote:Really Louise23? Did you use the GL sample papers too. There are so many resources, the whole process is a minefield.
Yes really. They were sold as such and my son said that was the case. The spatial reasoning was particularly useful - as a previous poster said the gl papers don’t really go into that. The number of questions and progression of questions with a hard section of reasoning at the end he said was much the same as the real thing.

Yes we did some gl papers and all sorts of bits and bobs on and off throughout year 5. I agree it is a total minefield. At this this point I would say ease off, but do a bit of exam technique and the paper I mentioned was useful for that. Skip questions if you’re stuck and go back later if time, don’t stress if you don’t finish as timing is tight, don’t leave any questions unanswered though - they are multiple choice after all- if in doubt put B!
olucares

Post by olucares »

Louise23 wrote:Hi
DS did Kent test this time last year. At this stage we used papers from removed by moderator website. They do a Kent specific one which is almost exactly the same in terms of question types, numbers of questions and timings. DS confirmed this after the test and said out of everything it was the most useful. Hope this helps. Good luck to your DD in September.
Thanks for this. Really helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now