High cost of travelling to school by train in Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: High cost of travelling to school by train in Kent

Post by mystery »

Our local station is southern - it's hard to determine whether someone at the desk or a train arriving is the more frequent occurrence. I don't suppose we really need a scholar's permit as most of the time one is entitled to a refund for non-performance.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Thanks for the scholar's pass information doodles, that's brilliant. My son is travelling from Orpington to Tunbridge Wells, which is already pretty pricey and would be eye watering at full adult rates. Even if we can't get a scholar's pass from Orpington, presumably he could have two tickets, one to Sevenoaks and one from it. Or ideally there will be a more equitable system of child train fares everywhere by the time he turns 16...
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorrel have you enquired whether there is a scholars' pass for under 16's? I have a niggle in the back of my head that there might be, always worth asking the question, they can always say "No".
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

doodles wrote:Sorrel have you enquired whether there is a scholars' pass for under 16's? I have a niggle in the back of my head that there might be, always worth asking the question, they can always say "No".
Will do, thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hello, any more news on the scholars pass for 16+ from anyone? I phoned South Eastern customer services and they'd not heard of it. I won't be able to get to 7'oaks or T'wells station myself for a while to ask about it.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Its on my 'To do list' mystery and I will post if I have any further info. As I have bought train passes until half term I will be investigating before the end of Oct. Interestingly my DH asked at the kiosk in the station at 7oaks about the possibility of scholars" passes a couple of years ago and got nowhere.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Excellent news for those travelling to school by train:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49335497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

It's only valid until the student's 18th birthday though, although if you have bought a season ticket with it that is valid for up to 4 months after the railcard expires. So great for someone going to school with an August birthday, but less useful if you turn 18 in September!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Sure, but it's two years better than it was, with the full price kicking in as soon as you turn 16.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yeh, at last an advantage for my summer babe! He won't be 18 until he's left school so this will cover us for, this. his last year at school :D
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now