DGGS and Wilmington grammar for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sobz70

DGGS and Wilmington grammar for girls

Post by sobz70 »

Hi can anyone tell me their experience of these schools and what was the score they took for in county and out of county? Saw Wilmington today and it had a really nice atmosphere. Seeing DGGS tomorrow.
PettswoodFiona

Re: DGGS and Wilmington grammar for girls

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hi Sobz. Looking at this thread https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 19&t=55726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says Last year the cut off score for OOC for DGGS was 385 on national offer day. This dropped to 383 for the second round. One of DD’s friends is in Y9 at DGGS and is doing well. She seems to get masses more homework than DD. I think the pool doesn’t get the opportunity to be used as much as she hoped and this particular girl who devoured the school because of the pool is mostly doing swimming at a club out of the school. She is very happy at the school and her parents are delighted as they actually moved house to be IC.

Wilmington has a very small number of Governors places based on the maths score. There are so few we rarely see them posting on this forum. I gather the admissions people are very helpful. Whilst there are a lot of girls from Orpington / Petts Wood who are in Y10 and above the school has I gather been quite firmly defined Kent parishes only in recent years (except of course for the small clutch of Governors places). A friend’s DD attends - she used to get the bus from Petts Wood but it kept turning up late, I think it was retimed to try and improve it. They give the girls the chance to take a GCSE early and girls get to sit Business Studies at the end of Y9 - whether that is all who take it or not I don’t know.

I realise that isn’t a huge amount of info and most is second hand but hope it helps.
Last edited by PettswoodFiona on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SashaK

Post by SashaK »

There is no score required for Wilmington unless you are trying for one of the top 15 places which is by score (check admissions policy for the current criteria).
My daughter was one of the tour guides tonight and I am shocked when she told me that a parent asked her on 3 occasions what her 11 plus mark was! We’ve never even told her and it’s not a stranger’s business.
Good luck in making your decision.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Thank you everyone!

Post by 1971 »

Hi Sobz. My dd was also a guide at Wilmington tonight, and will be today. One of the other threads yesterday said that the frequently asked questions page on admissions at Wilmington had the distance offered on it, and it had gone up to around the 5 mile mark I think. I had been less than 3 miles the year before because we were concerned about whether we would get in. there are several ooc girls in my dd's class inc her.

Glad you liked it. We have heard lots of good things from parents and teachers in her primary.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now