questions about Judd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Twmum2018

questions about Judd

Post by Twmum2018 »

Hi all Juddian parents,

My son would like to go to Judd, so could you share your experiences and opinions about the school? I have some questions listed below:

1. My son is not very sporty, would he be singled out?
2. Can anyone suggest a rough estimate percentage of different ethnic/race groups? Majorityly white? Or majority Indian like in some London schools? As my son is a mixed race, I’m hoping a balanced mix, so there’s less chance to be picked on.
3. How much does it cost per annum? I thought it’s a free state school, but somewhere on the internet mentioned that theres cost involved?
4. Is there any separate application procedures other than the Kent county registration?

Thank you!
neenu_9

Re: questions about Judd

Post by neenu_9 »

Am interested in Judd too.

What is kent county registration? is that different from CAF form?
Twmum2018

Post by Twmum2018 »

The online application on the Kent test website. Is it called CAF form? Sorry I didn’t pay attention!lol
KentbridgeDad

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Hope the answers help.
Ans: No. Judd has boys pf all sporting ability. My son is very sporty and he is well accepted. I have a close friend and his son is not sporty at all and he is equally happy. pastoral care is very good.

2. Can anyone suggest a rough estimate percentage of different ethnic/race groups? Majorityly white? Or majority Indian like in some London schools? As my son is a mixed race, I’m hoping a balanced mix, so there’s less chance to be picked on.
Ans: Majority white but, there is a reasonable mix of other ethnicity

3. How much does it cost per annum? I thought it’s a free state school, but somewhere on the internet mentioned that theres cost involved?
Ans: Its state school so not much you need to pay apart from paying for some specific stationary like calculator and stuff like that. in addition some school trips, the mandatory ones are quite cheap and there are few optional like going overseas ....... In year 10 they do DoFE that is little costly but it is optional. I would say there is nothing major in terms of cost that pops out

4. Is there any separate application procedures other than the Kent county registration?
Ans: As far as I know you do only one form and list the schools in order of preference
Twmum2018

Post by Twmum2018 »

KentbridgeDad wrote:Hope the answers help.
Ans: No. Judd has boys pf all sporting ability. My son is very sporty and he is well accepted. I have a close friend and his son is not sporty at all and he is equally happy. pastoral care is very good.

Ans: Majority white but, there is a reasonable mix of other ethnicity

Ans: Its state school so not much you need to pay apart from paying for some specific stationary like calculator and stuff like that. in addition some school trips, the mandatory ones are quite cheap and there are few optional like going overseas ....... In year 10 they do DoFE that is little costly but it is optional. I would say there is nothing major in terms of cost that pops out

Ans: As far as I know you do only one form and list the schools in order of preference
Thank you very much! Very helpful information!
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Do a Google image search and you will see it is mainly white, but not exclusively so.

When people say they want diversity, but not too much diversity. That's how diverse it is.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Sports are great there but it’s above all a very inclusive school - many aren’t sporty and find their clan

As pp said, the pastoral care is exceptional

There’s a development fund you are asked to contribute to but it’s optional. School trips abroad are costly but optional. Uniform not expensive and main items like shirts and trousers can be bought from anywhere. There’s a second hand uniform shop for everything else

There’s a much better mix of diversity than at say Weald or TWGSB. A non white child won’t stand out.

It really is a wonderful school.
KHmummy

Post by KHmummy »

There are two funds. The development fund which is to collect money to repay KCC for the extension which opened in 2017 and for further development work, this is optional. There is also the Judd Fund which has a suggested donation of £60 per year to go towards extra curricular activities etc. It is optional but it’s a small amount to pay for the high level of education the boys receive.

Overseas trips are optional and can be expensive, skiing is approx £1000 and this year’s DoE was £325.

The school is mostly white, more so since the introduction of a catchment. The boys mix well and there isn’t any racism and if there was it would not be tolerated. If you’re worried then pop along to one of the open days.

Re sport, my son isn’t at all sporty (he’s year 11) and it’s never been a problem.

It’s a great school and very high achieving. I never cease to be amazed at how bright and articulate the boys there are.
EmmaK

Post by EmmaK »

At an open event at Judd, I noticed that they have an African-Caribbean society. I eagerly pointed this out to my (black) son, who expressed no interest whatsoever
There is a little diversity at Judd, and my son seems very settled there. He has mentioned the names of a few of his friends, a couple of whom have Asian-sounding names. Whatever the racial mix, he is happy and comfortable and I haven't picked up any signs of discrimination. Back at primary school, he got a little fed up of his peers trying to touch his hair, but I think secondary school children are more thoughtful and less impulsive
I have never thought of him as particularly sporty, but he seems to be getting really involved. I get the impression the school is inclusive of children whatever their level of sporting prowess.
It seems like a lovely school, excellent pastoral care.
They say you're only as happy as your least happy child. When your kid is content at school, you relax. A bit.
DuntonGreen

Post by DuntonGreen »

My son is in year 8 at Judd at not at all sporty - he says lots of boys in his class are the same - so no pressure. He actually quite enjoys the games as they cater for all abilities and if not sporty who won't be put in a group with the top rugby players!
He is mixed race and although predominantly white British he has many more mixed race friends / non-white British friends than there ever were at primary school
I think they ask for £60 contribution per family (optional). There are a lot of very expensive trips in the school holidays. Our son knew from the start that they would never be an option for him and he is fine with that.
No separate application unless you are pupil premium - some reserved places.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now