Likely chances for Judd admission in OCC?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

admishra

Likely chances for Judd admission in OCC?

Post by admishra »

Hi
we are just out of the inner area for Judd (13.5 miles as the crow flies from school, in BR6 postcode). With a score of 406 , what would you say are the likely chances of our DS getting it through? I do know last yr's cutoffs being 395 etc; but am also being told by other parents that generally the papers were quite easy and so the cutoffs are expected to be far higher than in past!

My child did like Judd the most in all the school visits thus far (incl St Olaves, and we have only 4 schools in target). and so we would like to pen in our options carefully..

the other schools we had in mind, keeping the ease of commute, and our DS' interests in mind - Skinners- 16 miles, journey by public transport approx 1hr 15min , and Dartford Grammar (8 miles, 1.5hr commute) .. unsure about the order though likelihood is it would be DGS followed by SGS.

any pointers whether at these distances its even worth putting these schools in??
regards
Sparklecat

Re: Likely chances for Judd admission in OCC?

Post by Sparklecat »

I wouldn't even consider those commutes. I know many children do it, but even a 25 minute bus journey regularly becomes an hour, if it turns up at all. Where we live allows our daughter to do her homework before dinner, then have family time in the evening.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

I personally know 4 boys who got in Judds from the postcode BR5 and BR2 last year.

I was told their commute is no problem as they have a train. Like someone suggested, a 25 mins bus ride could turn into an hour journey, so an hour train journey isn't such a big deal for some parents. The journey can be used as a social time bonding with other children making the same journey.

Also, another older boy I know uses the time to do his homework.

Each parent have different tolerance towards distance. If you and your son don't mind an hour daily jouney, I would say go for it. The boys and their parents couldn't praise the school highly enough.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Tonbridge is v well connected train wise and Judd is the closest school to the train station.

It’s a fabulous school. I’d say your son will be fine with 406.

Congrats!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

If you're in BR6, Tonbridge is 20 min by train from Orpington station, then a 7 min walk. Your son's score should be fine. Skinners is 25 min train, then a 15-18 min walk, but there are no places reserved for ooc top scorers any more.

There are direct school coaches to Dartford Grammar, so it's much quicker than 1.5 hours: details on their website. Makes after school clubs difficult though.
admishra

Post by admishra »

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and help..
We practically had done a short of recci ourselves on a morning train to both judd and Skinner, and the commute timings were based on that experience.
Totally appreciate the fact that the trains are possibly as unreliable, but given our location, there is no other option for us as far as grammar schools go, but to let our child travel.
My worry is only about him not getting through Judd at that score because of a higher cut off for OCC.

Regards
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now