Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Reena79

Re: Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Post by Reena79 »

Isaac73 wrote:Wow well done to your daughter. Someone has posted that the last OOC for TOGS was 392 last year. My daughter scored 395 and we live in Bromley. She's made the top 180 Bexley and has (I hope!) probably scored enough for Newstead.

However we've visited some schools a few times now and Tonbridge Grammar seems the best fit for us also and she loved it. With the cut off mark creeping up it seems a tad uncertain, especially as we are slightly further than Orpington etc.

So we'll wait until spring to find out. Oh how this whole process has been a joy!
I don't think distance matters Issac73. Just whether you fall in the IC or OOC bucket. With each bucket, TOGS goes by scores.

Good luck to your DD.
Kittykon

Post by Kittykon »

Hi Reena,

My DD got same marks last year and her first preference was also TOGS. We were in the same situation this time last year. It's a good score and I would be very surprised if she doesn't get a place in the first round. TOGS is getting more popular and OOC cut-off is something to watch out next few years. Time to celebrate!

You can pm me if you need more details.
Isaac73

Post by Isaac73 »

Hi Reena -I think any tie for each mark is then decided by distance so it does come into play unfortunately, if there are other girls with the same mark.
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

Isaac73 wrote:Hi Reena -I think any tie for each mark is then decided by distance so it does come into play unfortunately, if there are other girls with the same mark.
Indeed! I forgot about this situation!
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

My worst fears! A LOT more DCs scored more than 406 this time!

2018 intake : OOC Girls scoring above or equal to 394 cutoff: 156
OOC Girls scoring above or equal to 406 : 66

This year: OOC girls above or equal to 406 : 123 !! DOUBLED!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now tell me please - will DD get in?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Reena79 wrote:Now tell me please - will DD get in?
I'm afraid that nobody can do that Reena, it's a case of filling in the form and waiting, I'm sorry that it's so agonising, it does seem to take an age, I remember it well :(
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Nkib

Post by Nkib »

This year: OOC girls above or equal to 406 : 123 !! DOUBLED!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now tell me please - will DD get in?[/quote]

We're playing around with similar numbers - by my crude calculations (which are not scientific) in order for the cut off marks of circa 395 achieved in 2017 and 2016 to happen, then approx 70 to 75% of the DDs above that mark must have dropped out somewhere along the line. Apply that figure to 406 with 123 DDs at or above, and its close! I do know of a few who have performed above 406, but have done equally well at Newstead Wood and so are taking Newstead Wood instead, so there are already some dropping away. Fingers crossed!
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

Nkib wrote:This year: OOC girls above or equal to 406 : 123 !! DOUBLED!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now tell me please - will DD get in?

We're playing around with similar numbers - by my crude calculations (which are not scientific) in order for the cut off marks of circa 395 achieved in 2017 and 2016 to happen, then approx 70 to 75% of the DDs above that mark must have dropped out somewhere along the line. Apply that figure to 406 with 123 DDs at or above, and its close! I do know of a few who have performed above 406, but have done equally well at Newstead Wood and so are taking Newstead Wood instead, so there are already some dropping away. Fingers crossed!
Last year and the year before, similar % dropped. I hope the trend doesn’t change. We will probably go with Newstead as I’m not convinced DD will be happy doing the journey after a few months (she is very lazy). And We can’t move.

It’s tricky, we can’t decide!
Nkib

Post by Nkib »

All I would say following the open evening last night is that TOGS is a very happy school with happy pupils - we were very impressed. The grounds had an almost uni campus feel too: different, quirky , fun - my DD is super keen despite the journey, which incidentally I did yesterday morning during the school run and there were approx 15-20 TOGS girls on the platform at Orpington, all chatting away, and there were scores of Judd boys and a few Weald too. Ironically I left the house at the same time as my St Olaves son and just arrived at TOGS 25 mins after him: @ 8:25. The train journey looked like downtime which may be a good thing.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Nkib wrote:All I would say following the open evening last night is that TOGS is a very happy school with happy pupils - we were very impressed. The grounds had an almost uni campus feel too: different, quirky , fun - my DD is super keen despite the journey, which incidentally I did yesterday morning during the school run and there were approx 15-20 TOGS girls on the platform at Orpington, all chatting away, and there were scores of Judd boys and a few Weald too. Ironically I left the house at the same time as my St Olaves son and just arrived at TOGS 25 mins after him: @ 8:25. The train journey looked like downtime which may be a good thing.
There are normally lots of Skinners boys too (esp the 7.40 from Orpington but sometimes the 7.55 too, as that still gets them there just on time). Skinners had an inset day yesterday. I think it is quite a nice journey, fast and in the opposite direction to the commuter tide, so very much a train for the schools.