Kent School Options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dejavus

Re: Kent School Options

Post by Dejavus »

lefol wrote:Hi Dejavus,

the whole process would appear quite daunting for now but I would suggest you list the schools in your true order of preference after visiting the open days , what your son likes, travel etc. You can put DGS down, but he may not get in on scores. You have a better chance with Wilmington and I can explain why. In 2017, Wilmington offered places to boys from Orpington on the distance criteria. When I queried this with Ms Owen, she explained that Orpington is closer on the maps they use compared to other areas in Bexley. My son was a few spaces down the list and the two above him where from Orpington and I know one was offered a space but we eventually took a space at Gravesend which is a fantastic school. You have to be realistic, but do not miss out on a space because others have said you have zero chance. The other thing to note is that Wilmington offers places to the top 15 boys that score high in the test and the maintain two lists ... distance and top 15% .. with the score you have he may get in on the first, second or third round on the top 15% or distance list. Give Ms Owen a call at Wilmington she is very nice and would explain the above to you in detail. Do make enquiries too with the other grammars accessible by train in Tunbridge Wells. Good luck
Thank you so much for the detailed analysis. Will sure to give Ms Owen a call.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Oh, definitely put Wilmington down and other grammars you want: you have six spaces. But make sure you have a couple of non grammar options that you'd be happy with and have a decent chance of getting. If you don't, the risk is you get the school no-one else wants, which would be stressful even if you did get a Wilmington place eventually off the waiting list.
Dejavus

Post by Dejavus »

Sorrel wrote:Oh, definitely put Wilmington down and other grammars you want: you have six spaces. But make sure you have a couple of non grammar options that you'd be happy with and have a decent chance of getting. If you don't, the risk is you get the school no-one else wants, which would be stressful even if you did get a Wilmington place eventually off the waiting list.

Many thanks for all the help and advise, I believe I have left this too late. I mentioned in my earlier post that moving is not a feasible option but looking and thinking more about it now, moving might not be such a bad idea afterall.

Thinking more about it now, we have twins also preparing to take the 11 plus next year and if moving closer to the school will definitely give our son a better chance at being selected plus makes it easier for his twin siblings to get a place next year when they take the test also, I am now thinking maybe its not such a bad idea to move now. Although we are currently renting but thinking of buying and have been looking around the dartford, bexley area, we did view a few properties in dartford in the last couple of months but I beleive we wouldnt mind renting again if we can find a property with close enough proximity to the school maybe its not such a bad idea. My questions are as follow:

Firstly if we find and view a suitable property, how far out from the school postcode would definitely earn us a place if we move, althought we ll try to be as close as possible.

Secondly, how does one go about changing the parent address with KCC?

And lastly how feasible is it be able to move within this short spate of time, assuming we can move very fast with viewing and getting a lease, what kind of information would we have to provide to the council to satisfy the address requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

If you have a read round the forum you should be able to get advice on all these things: there are various threads. The Dartford and Wilmington websites have admissions information. If you have twins coming up for 11+, I'd be most wary of being sure you can get good primary school places for this year if you move - you don't want to disrupt their preparation.