The walk from Dartford Train station to Dartford Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pabloc

The walk from Dartford Train station to Dartford Grammar

Post by pabloc »

Has anyone had much experience on that journey? Is it a safe walking route (i.e avoiding busy roads).
And do a lot of pupils walk it each morning? I'm just wondering if the mile is too much to ask a 11-year-old to do that and back every day rain, hail or shine.
anotherdad

Re: The walk from Dartford Train station to Dartford Grammar

Post by anotherdad »

I don't know the route to know if it's safe or not but a mile is a very short distance for a five year old if there are no health concerns or conditions. It's twenty minutes' walking at normal pace. Nothing.
cgw

Post by cgw »

I walk it myself every day (I live just by DGS). Loads of DGS boys do it - I pass them getting off the train as I get on.

It's a perfectly fine walk - short, but up a very steep hill. It is about 20 minutes (less going downhill!). No tricky roads to cross - by the station there's a pelican crossing, so that's fine, a few quite side roads that are no problem, and outside the school where the boys normally cross near the roundabout. The last one's a tad chaotic at the beginning and end of the day, but no more than you'd find on the road outside any school in the country.
salsa

Post by salsa »

No worries about the walk. There are lots of shortcuts which the boys use. They can be as fast as 10 minutes and 3 minutes running downhill to catch the train!

They soon get used to it. Some children catch the bus if it's there as it's not worth waiting for it.

Salsa
skilfullzeus

Post by skilfullzeus »

Some pupils take off the train at Crayford station which is in zone 6, if come from west. Cheaper than off at Dartford.

They then take bus 96 or 428 for 5-6 stops to the school. I see them travelling in group, pairs etc every weekday morning.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now