Maidstone Grammar and Oakwood Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Noodle12

Maidstone Grammar and Oakwood Grammar School

Post by Noodle12 »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences on either of these schools. Thanking you in advance.
Maz77

Re: Maidstone Grammar and Oakwood Grammar School

Post by Maz77 »

Hi

My 2 eldest boys have both completed 7 years at Mgs .

My eldest is 21 and loved every second of his time there .
He achieved outstanding results at GCSE and A level and is currently doing his masters at kings ., his first choice of uni .
he joined Mgs extremely shy and unable to stand up in class and now manages projects and lectures to other pupils .
I firmly believe Mgs delivers on teaching the boys, manners , respect and confidence as well as results.

Our second ,albeit extremely clever didn’t enjoy it as much but decided to stay to sixth form so it can’t have been that bad!
He also achieved extremely good GCSE and 4 A level results and has just started at his first choice uni .

Our daughter is at Invicta and our youngest has just passed and we have no hesitation in sending him to Mgs in September 2019.
On our recent tour we noticed many facilities have been improved which we hope will further enhance our youngest sons experience.

I have friends who love Oakwood but sadly we haven’t ever seen the appeal. Obviously it’s down to individual preference.
Noodle12

Post by Noodle12 »

Thank you for your response it was helpful. Sorry to ask again but is the pastoral care good at MGS?
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

I have 2 sons at MGS and both love it! Eldest is year 10 and youngest year 8. When we first viewed both MGS and Oakwood (4 years ago) my eldest had no hesitation in which school he wanted to go to. Obviously they are both great schools... but think my sons (and me) loved the traditions of MGS and their approach to not only teaching but how their aim is to develop young boys into great young men.

The care and individual support is there for those who require it... the school is excellent with regard the welfare of each child: they are treated as individuals.

I know boys who go to Oakwood and are very happy there... I think it comes down to personal preference .
Noodle12

Post by Noodle12 »

Thank you for your response it has helped.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now