Good luck!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Hi, another worried mum here,my daughter has failed by 4 points on maths,her head teacher did appeal but did not suceed,the school have advised me to appeal with there full support our lea letter has an apppeal form attached,am now wondering if there is any point if head teachers appeal failed.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

Appeal Mum wrote:c'est la vie,

Can you point me or supply a link to that information?

We wouldn't want to be giving out wrong info on Appeals if it has changed this year..

AM
The Code (3.33) states that "some admission authorities for grammar schools choose to operate a non-statutory or "local review" system, before the allocation of places is decided, to determine whether children who have not reached the specified standard ought to be deemed as being of grammar school standard."

Although, following "local review" parents can still appeal against the decision, the process that the appeal panel can use varies. Paragraph 3.37 says that in the case where a "local review" has been carried out, the panel can only consider if the review was carried out in a fair, correct and objective way. If the "local review" met this criteria, the appeal must be disallowed.

The new Admissions Appeal code can be found here: http://www.dfes.gov.uk/sacode/

It is designed to stop some parents having two routes of appeal, since that does not afford all parents the same opportunities of success.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi C'est la Vie

There seems to be a difference between Kent and Medway on this. Some LA's are treating the Head's review stage as part of the formal process, whilst others are treating it as an additonal informal stage to ease the burden of Appeal hearings in borderline cases.

I understand that Medway are indeed applying the new Code as you describe, but I can find no suggestion at all in their Admissions documentation that Kent are treating the Head Teacher's review stage as a replacement for the parental appeal stage, where academic evidence and other circumstances can be presented.

Could someone who has received an Appeal letter in Kent please confirm what is said about the type of evidence that you will need to present at an Appeal?

Sally-Anne
kent

Post by kent »

c'est la vie
The Code (3.33) states that "some admission authorities for grammar schools choose to operate a non-statutory or "local review" system, before the allocation of places is decided, to determine whether children who have not reached the specified standard ought to be deemed as being of grammar school standard."

Although, following "local review" parents can still appeal against the decision, the process that the appeal panel can use varies. Paragraph 3.37 says that in the case where a "local review" has been carried out, the panel can only consider if the review was carried out in a fair, correct and objective way. If the "local review" met this criteria, the appeal must be disallowed.

This is major!!!!!!!! and has huge bearings on many peoples appeals.
HT appealled for my DD, was unsuccessful.
Surely they cant take our right for appeal???
How would HT have any idea about personal mitigating circumstances???

Im very confused...
Mary

Post by Mary »

As I understand it the Headteachers appeal in Kent is considered part of the assessment process and so is not affected by the new code meaning parents can go on to the Appeal process. In Medway the headteachers review is seen as separate to the assessment process and the new code means that the Independant Appeals panel cannot overturn the decision of the review unless they consider the review to have been unfair in some way. This is only what I have learnt from other websites and how the new code is interpreted remains to be seen
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

kent wrote: How would HT have any idea about personal mitigating circumstances???
Surely then it wouldn't have been carried out in a fair, correct and objective way?

AM
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

I couldn't believe this! I have spoken to my son's primary headteacher, (HTA failed, missed by 3 marks.) She has assured me that this is not the case in Kent - the HTA is still just part of the process, and that parental appeals as we know (and love!) them are still in place - certainly for this year anyway. I have not been home yet to look at the paperwork for appeals that has been sent in the post, but apparently it should confirm that the parental appeal system is in place. If it doesn't, she has told me to call her straight away.
kent

Post by kent »

Surely then it wouldn't have been carried out in a fair, correct and objective way?
Good point!
Seems a big 'loop hole' there then maybe???

Panic over I hope for us as its seems to be Medway and not the 'main' Kent????
But poor Medway, I dont know how it works there but it doesnt seem right parents cant appeal???
kent

Post by kent »

Good point!
Seems a big 'loop hole' there then maybe???

Panic over I hope for us as its seems to be Medway and not the 'main' Kent????
But poor Medway, I dont know how it works there but it doesnt seem right parents cant appeal??
chad

Post by chad »

That is how I see it AM...

Anyone with mitigating circumstances would go to appeal.... it's the children who just didn't perform on the day that will be affected
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now