Good luck!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mary

Post by Mary »

Hi Sally-Anne

The appeal letter in Kent says that all parents have the right to appeal against any decision to refuse a school place at any school named on their common application form. It asks for the reasons for the appeal and appears to be no different to last years appeal form. There is no mention of whether there has been a headteachers appeal. Hope this helps!
louise72

no appeals

Post by louise72 »

I am sure that if there were no parent appeals allowed my sons headteacher would not have encouraged me to appeal and I would not have been sent an appeals form in my letter.
Appeal away and good luck
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

Mary wrote:As I understand it the Headteachers appeal in Kent is considered part of the assessment process and so is not affected by the new code meaning parents can go on to the Appeal process. In Medway the headteachers review is seen as separate to the assessment process and the new code means that the Independant Appeals panel cannot overturn the decision of the review unless they consider the review to have been unfair in some way. This is only what I have learnt from other websites and how the new code is interpreted remains to be seen
That is how the Kent Cabinet wishes to interpret the local review system in Kent, by using semantics. But the DCSF are advising them to adhere to the Appeals Code since 'H/T assessments' aren't part of the Code. In essence, Kent's system is seen in exactly the same manner as Medway's.

The enquiry is very recent, in fact within the last few days. The current situation as explained to parents is expected to change.

Watch this space!
CAZ1969

Post by CAZ1969 »

I exactly the same as you, heronsfly, my daughter failed by 4 points on her maths, the headteachers appeal failed, and was told it's well worth putting in a parental one, which I'm doing, as I think it's well worth another shot.
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

thanks CAZ, good to know im not alone,we are also doing a parental appeal with full school support, what has made me even more determined is hearing of children in our area getting a GS place on a lower maths score but obviously,at HT appeal the books must have shown a higher level than ours. I know we could be heading for yet another upset, but if we dont try we will never know, good luck.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I have noticed that any children who just missed the pass mark, seemed to just miss on the Maths not the VR or the NVR. It seems to be the most common lowest score.
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Yes medway mum, I have noticed this as well, I think the difference is that NRV and RV are a fair test of abilty, pure common sense and quick thinking,the maths on the other hand, can contain questions that the children can only answer if they have been taught the methods. Sadly through no fault of the primary schools,this is not always the case.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Maths can be taught to different levels I think. Some schools have mixed year groups and varying ability levels so yes I think although not the fault of the primary schools, some will fare better than others.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

also some of teh materialwilln ot be covered until later in year 6. Not sure if it is teh case now, but at one point some of tehtopics were not covered in ks2.

Maths does seem to be the lowest score in a lot of cases.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

At the time of taking the exam in January, my dd had not covered algebra yet she insists there were several in the exam. Luckily we had touched on it although not to a great level. So yes you are right Yoyo the exam does incorporate year six work that has not been covered yet.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now