Changing preferences after application date

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grebu302

Changing preferences after application date

Post by grebu302 »

Hello
My son is awaiting grammar school allocation in March 2019 for September.
First and second choices are both outside catchment but due to his score I am pretty certain he will get the first choice however due to change of circumstances we are in the process of moving to an area which is catchment to second choice school in the application. I called KCC who said they can’t change the school preference order now. If my son gets first choice, it won’t be commutable. I am keen to know whether or not my son will get second school choice if we reject the offer from our first choice school? I appreciate that this is based upon the assumption that his score is high enough to be selective on both schools. Any advice would be appreciated.
mitasol

Re: Changing preferences after application date

Post by mitasol »

Did you apply via Kent LA? There seems to be an option to remove a preference.

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... e-2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cancelling applications
Applications considered as ‘on time’ detailed in paragraph 7 and 47 can be cancelled or individual preferences can be removed by the applicant up to 16 January 2019 (the deadline for schools returning ranked lists). Requests must be made to the admissions team in writing. New preferences cannot be added to an application at this point. After this date, it is not possible to cancel applications or remove preferences as the offer allocation process will have started.
You would need to check that this option will not cause your application to be considered late which would not be an advantage.

There is no guarantee that rejecting your first choice post allocation day will result in an offer of a place at your second choice.
Allyfe

Post by Allyfe »

I maybe wrong but I believe that you should never reject the place you are offered because if you do, the council are no longer obliged to find you a school place for September. Rather, the way to approach it is to accept the offered place but to put yourself on the waiting list for your preferred school. In catchment I would think you would be reasonably high up the list so hopefully in with a chance of getting a place further down the line.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Allyfe wrote:I maybe wrong but I believe that you should never reject the place you are offered because if you do, the council are no longer obliged to find you a school place for September. Rather, the way to approach it is to accept the offered place but to put yourself on the waiting list for your preferred school. In catchment I would think you would be reasonably high up the list so hopefully in with a chance of getting a place further down the line.
I believe you are correct. Don’t just blindly turn down a place as the LA don’t have to offer you another.

I’d also be careful of trying to change your preferences now, as it might mean your application becomes ‘late’ and will only be considered after the 1st March. Your LA is the best place to get advice as every LA will be slightly different, some will allow things others won’t. However make sure you get responses in writing/email, not just over the phone.
grebu302

Post by grebu302 »

Thank you to all who have advised. I have left the ranking as it is and hope he will get second choice school offer Not the first choice! If not, will accept the offer and be on waiting list for the second choice school.
thank you
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Can I just clarify - you will ONLY be on the waiting list for your second choice school, if you are allocated a LOWER choice school on March 1st. At which oint you will be added to both your first and second choice school (so would have to tell the council you no longer want to be on the first choice school).

If you are allocated your first choice school on March 1st, you will NOT be on the waiting list for your second choice schol - all your subsequent choices, below the school you are offerd on March 1st, disappear, as the council reasons that they have given you the highest school they could from your listed chices.

If you are allocated your first choice school on March 1st you will have to accept it and then request to be put on the waiting list of the second choice school and hope a place comes up.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

This is precisely why in the first lot of second round offers the qualifying score can (but not always) go up rather down. Late applicants, those who’ve changed their minds, those who’ve moved all going into the mix.
kingreader

Post by kingreader »

Can I just point out that the above advice is not necessarily correct when it comes to Kent schools. LA’s have different rules with regards to waiting list requests and I’m pretty sure KCC allow children to go on the waiting list for any school preference, not just the higher ones.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

kingreader wrote:Can I just point out that the above advice is not necessarily correct when it comes to Kent schools. LA’s have different rules with regards to waiting list requests and I’m pretty sure KCC allow children to go on the waiting list for any school preference, not just the higher ones.
The point made above is that you are not automatically placed on the waiting list for any lower ranked schools - you have to ask to be wait-listed for lower preferences.

The advice is correct and applies to all areas.
kingreader

Post by kingreader »

The point I was making is that there are different rules in different LAs, which is always worth stressing. I don’t believe there are any waiting list rules which are “correct and applies to all areas”. In addition to what I said above, you are not automatically put on the waiting list for any school if you are a Kent resident applying for Kent schools. In some LAs you are not allowed to go on the waiting list for a lower preference school at all