Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:49 pm 

Hi Kingreader I don't know of any LA that puts you automatically on the waiting list for a lower preference school, do you know of some? As others have said Kent don't do this but you can ask to go on a waiting list for a lower preference school, I also know none of my neighbouring regions (Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich) do this and having looked on other boards have never seen this so would interested if this was the case. I can't imagine how that would work if you got your first preference and then were automatically on a waiting list for a lower preference school wouldn't that just break the system and be a huge waste of time for many people getting offers for schools they actually didn't want to go on the list for? I can understand going on a waiting list for a lower preference if you put in a request, but not automatically.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 pm 

I never said any LA would put you automatically on the waiting list for a lower preference school. I said some LAs (Like Kent) do not automatically put you on any waiting list and some LAs do not allow you to go on the WL for a lower preference even if you request it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:32 pm 

kingreader wrote:
I never said any LA would put you automatically on the waiting list for a lower preference school. I said some LAs (Like Kent) do not automatically put you on any waiting list and some LAs do not allow you to go on the WL for a lower preference even if you request it!

I definitely remember someone in recent years saying that their LA made those who want to reinstate their application to a lower ranked school wait and do it as an in-year application, i.e. completely divorcing the process from the main round of applications / allocations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm 

We had to do that for our DS a couple of years ago. We got our first preference school on offer day but had changed our minds and wanted the second preference instead. We accepted the first school then had to make a totally new in-year application to the second school, which was eventually processed (on paper, not via the pan-London admissions website) and we were added to the waiting list of the second school.

The fact that we'd included the second school in our original on time application was irrelevant to the process. By the time we'd been given our first preference school, all the lower-ranked applications disappeared as if they'd never been. I asked if it could be resurrected somehow so that we wouldn't have to make the new paper application but the answer was no.

This is a London borough admission authority, so it might be different elsewhere, but this is one way that changes of mind can be dealt with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:24 pm 

Hi all,

In Kent, they are incredibly flexible. At least as at a couple of years ago, you could definitely ask to be considered for the 2nd round and/or be on the school’s waiting list.
You do need to request to be on this process, though.

This is not allowed in other neighbouring London boroughs.

Therefore, accept the offer and then ask KCC to place your child on the second round. After the second round in April, if you still don’t have a place, you need to ask the school directly to put you on their waiting list as they will then be managing the list.

Salsa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm 

salsa wrote:
Hi all,

In Kent, they are incredibly flexible. At least as at a couple of years ago

Salsa

This was definitely the case last year too and KCCs admissions policy does not mention any restrictions on waiting list requests (other than naming a grammar school when the child hasn’t passed the Test). The offer letter last year explained which schools you can go on the waiting list for in a helpful table so I imagine it will be clear to KCC residents at least.

Not sure exactly how they handle WL requests for lower preferences from parents living outside KCC but i have been told said parents are able to make their WL request direct with Kent therefore side stepping any restrictions placed by their home LA.