Deferring primary school entry and the 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

applemarmelade

Deferring primary school entry and the 11 plus

Post by applemarmelade »

Hello wise ones. My DS was born on 30 August and we are planning to defer his primary school entry place (until 1 Sep just after his first birthday). We would like him to try for a grammar school when older but want to know whether he will be able to sit the 11 plus exam with those from his school year, or will he have to do it within his age cohort (compared to whom he would be a school year behind)?

Do you know if Kent schools have a common policy on this or do they all have their own policies?

Thank you!
PettswoodFiona

Re: Deferring primary school entry and the 11 plus

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I haven’t heard of anyone who is older sitting the eleven plus. I’ve heard of it the other way round and DD’s grammar (London Borough of Bromley so not Kent, but DD also sat Kent and Bexley tests a few years ago) admissions for her school state that only those below a certain age can sit the test, of below the normal admission age they can try for the test if they are in Y6, I.e outside of their age cohort but it is their usual school year for them. They can also only do the test once.

Is there anything in the admissions materials for the schools you might be interested in (appreciate that is a long time away!) that clarifies this for you? I note that it says on the Kent test registration page to contact the admissions team if your child is outside of the birth dates for the test. https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... test#tab-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Have I misunderstood? He's only five months old and you're planning his 11+ exam? Honestly, enjoy the next few years with your precious son. They grow up so fast. Don't worry, nearer the time it becomes apparent who is or isn't suitable for the test. Contact KCC if you really need an answer now.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Admission criteria can change a lot in 10 years. I wouldn't worry about it for now. The admissions criteria for the schools often have a section on taking the 11 plus at the "wrong" time.
scary mum
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

It's only recently that English schools have allowed deferred entry so it's not a common question, but I'm sure by the time he reaches that stage it will be provided for. They mostly standardise for age anyway so presumably will just add extra cohorts. Presume first is a typo for fifth in the original post?
lapindebois

Post by lapindebois »

My understanding is that children can still sit the 11+ with their cohort even if they are being taught in the 'wrong' year. I think the results are simply age-weighted more heavily (ie they're marked harder because they're older). I would contact Kent for a definitive answer. This is going to be coming up more and more as the position softens towards deferred entry.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now