Go to navigation
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 12:35 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Posts: 6
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum as I have only just come across when thinking about the looming 1st March date. So here's my question with some background:

My son passed 11+ and he visited lots of schools (there's no high school in our town) and he favours Judd. Now we know his score is just short of what Judd would accept - they already told him he didn't score enough but explained they would consider an appeal from us due to the circumstances my son found himself in - left international school two years earlier to the security situation of the country we were in and then school he attended failed and was taken over by an academy. I liked Judd but I prefer TWGSB as it seems like they are less academic focused but more on delivering well-rounded and well-educated kids rather than Jude's focus on academics (not criticising Judd as I too loved it).

My son wants me to appeal for Judd but I am concerned if we were to win, he would be in the lower ability group and would be miserable there. So I'd like to know if anyone has any views about Judd v TWGSB and if the difference in education is worth us appealing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 am
Posts: 120
What score did your son get? Surprised Judd already told you it wasn’t high enough as cut off will vary each year and they are always very tight lipped, referring you only to historical scores on their website. With regard to lower ability groups, I’d scratch that from your thinking as boys aren’t streamed at all until y8 and that’s only for maths where they have one accelerated group, all others are mixed/equal. What they score in Kent Test is hardly an accurate predictor of ability to GCSE results and beyond - boys mature and develop intellectually at very different rates...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 8747
Location: Essex
Daisynova wrote:
...but explained they would consider an appeal from us due to the circumstances my son found himself in...


Unless they really do do things very differently in those parts (i.e. completely contrary to the School Admissions Appeals Code), although it is an own admissions authority school's responsibility to arrange for its appeals to be heard, it's not up to the school to decide who may be allowed to appeal - the Code allows anyone to appeal who has applied for a place and has been turned down and it is an Independent Appeals Panel which considers both the school's reasons not to admit and the appellant's reasons as to why they should be given a place. And the IAP makes the decision, not the school.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admissions-appeals-code&ved=2ahUKEwj99Y7pjtTgAhUdQRUIHSH5AuMQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3hB_uKINvQXc07DYnju5-D

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Posts: 6
He scored 349 which is quite a bit below the accepted score for Judd.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Posts: 6
LocalTWmum1 wrote:
What score did your son get? Surprised Judd already told you it wasn’t high enough as cut off will vary each year and they are always very tight lipped, referring you only to historical scores on their website. With regard to lower ability groups, I’d scratch that from your thinking as boys aren’t streamed at all until y8 and that’s only for maths where they have one accelerated group, all others are mixed/equal. What they score in Kent Test is hardly an accurate predictor of ability to GCSE results and beyond - boys mature and develop intellectually at very different rates...


Thanks for your advice - it's helped allay some of my fears.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Posts: 6
ToadMum wrote:
Daisynova wrote:
...but explained they would consider an appeal from us due to the circumstances my son found himself in...


Unless they really do do things very differently in those parts (i.e. completely contrary to the School Admissions Appeals Code), although it is an own admissions authority school's responsibility to arrange for its appeals to be heard, it's not up to the school to decide who may be allowed to appeal - the Code allows anyone to appeal who has applied for a place and has been turned down and it is an Independent Appeals Panel which considers both the school's reasons not to admit and the appellant's reasons as to why they should be given a place. And the IAP makes the decision, not the school.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admissions-appeals-code&ved=2ahUKEwj99Y7pjtTgAhUdQRUIHSH5AuMQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3hB_uKINvQXc07DYnju5-D


Thanks ToadMum - that's helpful too x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 pm
Posts: 40
Skinners have introduced a catchment area for the first time this year which I expect will have an effect on the Judd cut off scores. There is a lot of overlap between Judd and Skinners inner areas and a limited number of boys within those areas. Whereas years ago Judd and Skinners both took the highest scoring boys from a huge area now they are taking the highest scoring boys from a smaller area and therefore a smaller pool of boys. My expectation is that the Judd cut off will be lower this year than it has in the past so perhaps your son is in with more of a chance than you think and if an appeal were to be successful he wouldn't be a low in the class as you are imagining.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:57 pm
Posts: 292
Welcome to the forum, Daisynova!

I have a DS in Year 9 at TWGSB who narrowly missed out on a place at Judd for Year 7 entry. While I still believe Judd would have suited him better in respect of his love of science subjects, he is very happy at TWGSB as an academically-focused boy.

My key concern has been staff turnover and absence in TWGSB science departments in the past year, but these issues may be due at least in part to an improvement drive under the new headteacher and deputies. My DS has had some excellent science teachers who have stretched and motivated him, but I think that his class has been luckier with the draw (timetabling) than some.

The children at TWGSB are well-supported and encouraged in both their academic work and a broad range of extra-curricular interests, outings and trips away. DS has been involved in Lego robotics, drama and book clubs and has taken instrumental music tuition through the school. He is not very sporty but those who are are well-catered for in terms of choice and a new 2-storey sports hall has been approved as part of building commencing this summer.

I would not seek to dissuade you or your DS from considering an appeal to Judd, and if your DS has a preference for it, surely there is no harm in trying? If he goes to TWGSB in the end, it is a good and supportive school and I expect he'll end up happy there. Remember too that whatever the choice or allocation now, your DS will have the option to consider other schools for the sixth form.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:37 pm
Posts: 1
This was exactly how I felt

"I liked Judd but I prefer TWGSB as it seems like they are less academic focused but more on delivering well-rounded and well-educated kids rather than Jude's focus on academics (not criticising Judd as I too loved it)."

and so we decided on TWGSB and I think it is true and the pastoral care at TWGSB has been really great so far. Half way through year 7.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Judd v TWGSB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Posts: 6
secondtimemum wrote:
This was exactly how I felt

"I liked Judd but I prefer TWGSB as it seems like they are less academic focused but more on delivering well-rounded and well-educated kids rather than Jude's focus on academics (not criticising Judd as I too loved it)."

and so we decided on TWGSB and I think it is true and the pastoral care at TWGSB has been really great so far. Half way through year 7.



Thank you - he’s decided to not bother appealing to Judd. We are all quite excited about the changes coming to TWGSB


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019