Kent Waiting List / Appeals...Help pls!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SunnyDay321

Kent Waiting List / Appeals...Help pls!!

Post by SunnyDay321 »

Does anyone know the answers to the below questions?? Be really helpful as I cant seem to find specifics on the Kent or School websites..

1) Once on a waiting list can a child be taken off if we decide not to pursue that school. If so is there a deadline date for this?

2) If offered a waiting list place, does that automatically cancel the original offer, or does that only happen when we contact the given school to then decline the original offer and accept the new offer?

3) Appeals process - If we begin the appeals process and then change our minds, can we withdraw at any time? If so is there a deadline date for this?

4) If an appeal is successful, does this automatically cancel the original offer, or does that only happen when we contact the first school to decline the offer and accept the new offer?

Thanks!!
mad?

Re: Kent Waiting List / Appeals...Help pls!!

Post by mad? »

1. Yes, not sure of the deadline date but be careful - as you have anticipated, one offer might Ancel the other - it depends the area you have applied from as LA guidance this seems to vary - some areas give you a couple of days to decide - others not
2. As above
3. yes you can withdraw - not sure of deadline - even if there is one.
4. It depends on the local authority you applied through - and possibly Kent policy - worth a call to find out about this and 1 I think.
Good luck.
mad?
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

I understand that the only thing that cancels your offer day offer is you actively cancelling it. So effectively you can hold 2 offers at a time (an offer day offer and an offer from a waiting list). In fact you could be in receipt of 3 offers if you also received an offer further to an appeal.

We were in this position at one point but the waiting list offer school required a very prompt reply (within 24-48 hours) and we wanted to make a decision quickly anyway so that the original offer day place could be released. We decided against the waiting list offer so our offer day place was unaffected by having been offered a place at another school from their WL.

We also appealed for a different school place and were successful in gaining a place there but again decided to stick with the original offer school. You can withdraw your appeal at any point and they would be happy to have one fewer appeal to hear I’m sure.

Basically we took the view that in the event that you want/ need further options there is nothing lost putting your child on all applicable WL or appealing if you have any grounds.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

To add, the above reply was in relation to Kent grammar school WL and appeals.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I’m dubious that a reallocation offer leaves you with both options.

Once the schools take over the waiting list I would agree with you.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

To clarify, our second offer was not further to the April reallocations, it was from a waiting list in May. I can only say what happened to us but we definitely had both offers at the same time as we had already accepted the offer day offer by the time we received the WL and appeal offers months later.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Kent Coordinated Admissions scheme is here.
https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... r-2024.pdf
SunnyDay321

Post by SunnyDay321 »

Many thanks everyone!

So it sounds like that if we went on a WL now and were successful we would automatically get reallocated a place by KCC and would lose the original offer?

However if we went on to the WL after April allocations, the WL get managed by the schools directly, at which point if we were successful on the WL we would get to chose between both offers?
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

That is what happened for us but I cannot comment on the reallocations part as our additional offers were further to WL and appeal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now