Yr 5 report stats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Herewego1

Yr 5 report stats

Post by Herewego1 »

Hello,

After the recent reports from my child’s state primary. The teacher gave a standardised score for a maths and a reading test, does anyone know what these standardised results mean? What levels should a child aiming for a SS grammar be getting? The tests were scored out of 140.
I did not even know that they did such tests. Many thanks
scary mum

Re: Yr 5 report stats

Post by scary mum »

There is a simplified explanation of standardised scores here. 11 plus scores will be standardised too. The score isn't "out if" 140, but 140 is the maximum standardised score.
scary mum
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Thanks Scarymum.

I still can’t understand what the factors for standardisation in a yr 5 exam would be. Presumably there is no age standardisation?

Does anyone know what standardised levels a child should be scoring in these tests to have a good chance at a Kent super selective? Is the early 130s good enough? Presume that these tests are not as difficult as the 11plus.

Thank you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

All schools will be doing norm-referenced reading tests regularly. To work out the standardised score they will use a table which is standardised against a large number of children of the same age.

If 2 children achieved the same raw score on the test and one was 9yrs 3 months and the other 10 yrs the younger one would have a higher standardised score.

Sometimes a child who gets a high raw score relatively early on, appears to be making no progress or “going backwards” but this is because as they get older more children of the same chronological age begin to achieve that raw score.
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Thank you
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

My primary school used to say that you would want your child to be scoring 120 to be comparable to an 11+ pass. So yes 130 sounds like a ss score.
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Thank you Sevenoaks Mum
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on those scores though. A lot will change between now and the test. I don't think either of my children even got 120 in the reading tests in year 5 but they both passed the real test with super selective scores.If your child has scored 130 in both tests they are in a very strong position.

What those scores are great for though is an appeal if necessary. Because the tests were done at school in test conditions, ie nobody could help your child. It is proof that your child is of the right standard to be at a grammar school. So if for whatever reason a child has a disaster on the day their headteacher can take those scores to an appeal and have a very good chance of success. It can be very reassuring to know that is a back up plan.
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

That’s great to know re the appeal. DC got 128 in reading and 132 in the maths. So hopefully on the right track for September. Many thanks for your answers.
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

Sounds very promising.

Our school always says, 100 is around the average, so you want to be over 120 to have a shot at grammar. They don't mention SS at school, but if it helps, three of my four children have got into SSs with comparable SATS/CATs scores.