Judd and Skinners scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lucky13

Judd and Skinners scores

Post by Lucky13 »

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been asked a hundred times but please could someone let me know the cut off scores for the first round of offers for Judd and Skinners for the past 3 years? My son did a mock 11+ recently (the 2018 papers) and ended up with a score of 371...am thinking this is probably not quite enough?

Thank you in advance.
Herewego1

Re: Judd and Skinners scores

Post by Herewego1 »

Hello,

I believe Skinners will be 360 qualifying score from now on. I think Judd was 376 but went down. It says on their website.

May I ask how you can get last year's papers? Where are they available from?
Also, how do you work out the standardised score of 371? Many thanks
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

Hi there, the tests were done by my son's tutor...perhaps they weren't the actual 2018 papers and I got the wrong end of the stick! The tutor worked out the standardised score...I'm afraid I don't know how she did this. Thank you for your reply re scores.
Starfish99

Post by Starfish99 »

I thought that there were very strict guidelines about previous papers. My understanding was that they were kept very secure and aren't supposed to be made available? I seem to remember a private school getting into trouble for giving past papers to their students a few years ago. Presumably one of the reasons for having an external invigilator is to ensure that no papers go astray, especially as children are able to take the same test later in the year (if they move into the area etc).

360 is now the cut-off for Skinner's but it is also done by distance so a 360+ score wouldn't guarantee you a place if you live too far away from the school. Check their website as I think they've given details of distance cut-offs for the 2019 intake which will give you an idea, although of course it will vary from year to year.
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

ok thank you, I will check their website. We live about 4 miles from Skinners and are in the inner catchment. Does it work just by distance for those who have scored above 360, ie if someone in inner catchment scored 371 but lived 4 miles away and another boy scored 360 but lived next door to the school, the 360 boy would get the place?

And presumably there were more boys who scored 360 and above within inner catchment than places?

Sorry for all the questions and for getting it wrong about the papers...I think she must have meant sample papers and I got the wrong end of the stick.

Thank you.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Most Kent-based tutors have copies of previous years papers - they're not meant to, but they all certainly seem to have them! My children - and the vast majority of their friends - took all previous papers as mocks from when they introduced the new English element (2014?) to those taken from right up until last year. Personally, I think they should be freely available via the KCC website as part of levelling the playing field between those kids at teach-to-the-test prep schools, those at state primaries or preps with tutors, and those with none of these (significant) advantages. But that's a much bigger and uglier debate... :roll:
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

PS yes for this year for Judd 376 was the cut off which dropped to 373 in second round. See their website. It has been as low as 361 I think in previous years. Skinners' has a baseline from this year of 360 but over the past 2-3 years has been as low as 358 I believe. You can email either KCC or the individual schools who will certainly be happy to tell you this information.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

More info on standardised scores here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 19&t=55723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KentDad001

Post by KentDad001 »

As others have said, the Skinner's score going forward is 360. For the inner area, for all boys having scored above 360, the ranking is by distance. So yes, a lower scoring boy living nearer will get a place over a higher scoring boy living further. The initial places in March were given to boys scoring above 360 living within about 10 miles, and that will move outwards as boys get in off the waiting list. If they don't fill all the places with 360+, they go to just a pass (323?) and then rank by distance. The head this year thought that would be the case, but it doesn't look like it has played out that way. There's also some preference for sons of staff and siblings, and also maybe for in care or free school meals students, but I don't exactly remember the details for how these factors fit it with the broader criteria.

For Judd from memory the final places were given in the last two years at 362 and 364, with not all boys with that score gaining a place. This is after the wait list process. For this year, the initial cut-off was 376 I think, and this too is dropping with wait list offers. We don't know yet how low it will go, but in the previous years the score requirement dropped 4-5 points from March to final, so probably this year it will be around 371 or so.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Judd changed its admission criteria a couple of years ago and Skinners' this year, so comparing the results of either of these schools over the last 3 or so years isn't going to give a true/current picture. You really need to look at the admissions criteria for each school which are easily accessible on the websites.

The changes made by Skinners' this year has really affected children living towards Sevenoaks and the villages around it as scores that previously would have got a first round offer didn't. However, things will shake down following the second round offers. The true picture really won't be known until later in the summer and it will be interesting to see if the changes have made much of a difference.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now