Information overload

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
itsme:)

Post by itsme:) »

To quote Peter:

After March 27th, parents can apply to any grammar school in Kent. If the child has taken the Kent test and passed, they will be offered a place if there are vacancies, otherwise they will be put on the waiting list operated according to the school oversubscription criteria. If the child has taken the Kent test but not passed, the application will be turned down. Parents then have the right to appeal. If the child has not taken the test, they will be asked to do so.

I can see how that works but thankfully I also think I won't need to wage such a campaign, although I'd imagine a few might have had to.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itsme:)

Post by itsme:) »

lol, sorry Belinda, great minds and all that eh!
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

Thanks, Belinda for that link. But...if the relevant piece was on the website prior to 1st March, it is highly like that the situation has changed with the new Appeals Code.

I'll check whether its still relevant in view of the tightening up of the Code and let you know.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Message removed.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Message removed.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes I agree C'est la vie is wrong. For both primary and secondary schools one can go on waiting lists and appeal once a year for whatever school you can dream of.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

perplexed wrote:Yes I agree C'est la vie is wrong. For both primary and secondary schools one can go on waiting lists and appeal once a year for whatever school you can dream of.
You are agreeing that I am wrong for something that I haven't claimed, since after checking, I confirmed with Belinda that she was right.

Parents can indeed apply to any school they choose after 31st March even if they have been offered a place at one of their three preferred schools.

What Peter and I have been disagreeing on is the changes implicit in the new Appeals Code and the fact is that if a child has been assessed as not suitable for a selective education, the appeals panel cannot consider any evidence the parent/representative tries to present as evidence that they are suitable. There is no right of appeal against this.

This is a major change from previous years where parents have been encouraged to produce such evidence by both this forum (see facts of appeals and non-qualification) and Peter.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

c'est la vie and Peter and others,

I have tried to read and understand the current discussion relating to Kent but it seems very technical to me. :?

Speaking as an outcider :) I am concerned at this concept of a "pre-appeal" which blocks a parents appeal could gain traction and spread to other areas.

Any chance you could stop fighting each other and move the discussion forward. :wink:

steve