Wilmington for Girls in Year 9 Casual admissions ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sbat

Wilmington for Girls in Year 9 Casual admissions ?

Post by sbat »

Hi All,
Unfortunately we have to take our daughter out of her current school as she had a very bad time there and was psychologically stressed out due to schools strict policies, it was like an Army school.
My daughter is very bright academically.

My daughter failed Kent by 1 mark in eleven plus , we did appeal for Wilmington Grammar and that didn't worked.

Our elder daughter is in WGSG.

We went to the school and were advised to fill in the In Year Casual Admission form, the admission officer was very nice and she understood our situation.

We are unsure what are our chances ? Anyone been through similar situation ?

Any guidance how best we can put forward our case ? Waiting lists for In Year admissions for Yr 9 ?

Regards
Tb
PettswoodFiona

Re: Wilmington for Girls in Year 9 Casual admissions ?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Churn in grammars seems to be much less common than some other schools, but that is only my impression talking with parents who have children in comprehensives and grammars. At DD’s Grammar one place came up in Y7 but since then in her year no one has left, she is due to start y10 in September. When a place does come up it is open to anyone who has expressed an interest and fits the admissions criteria (in DD’s school that is within a 9 mile radius) - then all interested parties sit an age appropriate test and the one getting the best score passes. It can be more competitive than the 11+ as it includes children moving from other areas who may already have been in grammars in other regions, children in independents - and also often for one place with maybe 20 on the waitlist.

Of course there are scenarios where it is so much easier and others are put off by the sheer thought of applying and children do leave and places are created so it is always worth asking and giving it a go.