Pass mark 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BMF

Re: Pass mark 2019

Post by BMF »

That’s very interesting info mitasol - so the old information says they standardise by birth month, and the new says they standardise by age then adjust for birth date.

I wonder if it makes much difference?
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

From a previous year's post:

At least in Kent, doesn't make much of a difference... it varied by perhaps 1 std score difference for someone aged 10y10m/10y5m (this was for maths).. Also saw this reply from Kent Council:

There is a limit to the detail I can give, because we have an agreement with our test provider (a company which also carries out the national standardisation which is applied to Kent pupils’ results) that we will not share information which is regarded as commercially sensitive, and this extends to the standardisation process. If “ball park” information will help, though, the standardised score for each birth month puts the raw score in context with the performance of children the same age. If – as is often the case – older children slightly outperform younger ones when the test is trialled, the standardisation will reflect that, in that a slightly lower number of correct answers will yield a slightly higher standardised score for a younger child. The less the effect in trialling, the less the adjustment. The effect of standardisation is generally that a child at the August end of the range will get a slightly higher standardised score than a child at the September end, even if they got the same number of right answers. Usually the greatest range across the year group in an 11+ paper is 6 points, but with the tests we are using at present it is typically less than that.
lapindebois

Post by lapindebois »

I do have genuine information about this year's boundaries (which I'm not going to share), but the information posted about pass marks on this thread isn't accurate, so definitely take all rumour with a pinch of salt. And please, please don't ask schools about appeals. They're not allowed to say, and it puts school staff in a really difficult and uncomfortable position when parents either ask directly or say things to them like 'I know you know the results, now I can't look at you without trying to read your expression!'. Even said in a jokey way, it makes things really awkward.
BMF

Post by BMF »

That’s very kind of you to share lapindebois - thank you.
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

Spotted this another thread and on the Skinners website: but 330 looks like the "pass" mark ? This is significantly higher than previous years if this is indeed fact, or could be just specific to Skinners?

https://www.skinners-school.co.uk/admis ... 2020-faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

It's a strange one, I suspect it is fact, as they can't change their admissions policy now (as mentioned upthread) and the admissions policy says 'assessed as suitable for grammar school'. Even if 330 is the pass mark though, assessed suitable for grammar would include people with lower scores who have passed an HT review?
Itssettled

Post by Itssettled »

My DD schooling in a Kent Primary School informed me today, her Books and 2 others were taken 2 weeks ago and additional book today to secondary school as said by her teacher. Does this mean, it’s HT review, if YES? What might be the outcome?

Thank you.
NDPM

Post by NDPM »

Itssettled wrote:My DD schooling in a Kent Primary School informed me today, her Books and 2 others were taken 2 weeks ago and additional book today to secondary school as said by her teacher. Does this mean, it’s HT review, if YES? What might be the outcome?

Thank you.
I believe the panel of HT review for West Kent was last week and the school should get the outcome at the end of this week. The decision from the HT review cannot be appealed. (GS suitability).

However, once we get our results on the 17/10, if a child missed slightly the mark, and the parents want to appeal, they can put 1 grammar school on the SCAF. Then in May, the parents will be invited to the GS from the SCAF form to present their appeal. I believe the misconception lies in parents thinking they should justify why their child is GS suitable. The appeal is in fact why the school is right for their child's needs.
Itssettled

Post by Itssettled »

NDPM wrote:
Itssettled wrote:My DD schooling in a Kent Primary School informed me today, her Books and 2 others were taken 2 weeks ago and additional book today to secondary school as said by her teacher. Does this mean, it’s HT review, if YES? What might be the outcome?

Thank you.
I believe the panel of HT review for West Kent was last week and the school should get the outcome at the end of this week. The decision from the HT review cannot be appealed. (GS suitability).

However, once we get our results on the 17/10, if a child missed slightly the mark, and the parents want to appeal, they can put 1 grammar school on the SCAF. Then in May, the parents will be invited to the GS from the SCAF form to present their appeal. I believe the misconception lies in parents thinking they should justify why their child is GS suitable. The appeal is in fact why the school is right for their child's needs.
Thank you so much NDPM. You have relieved me of my mystery!

17.10.19 Fingers crossed!
Mumxxx

Post by Mumxxx »

How do they decide which children to appeal for? Can the head teacher ask for any child who didn’t pass to be looked at or is it children who get over a certain mark, for example? X
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now