Shepway/folkstone test 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sunilvsn

Shepway/folkstone test 2019

Post by Sunilvsn »

My kids gave shepway/folkstone 2019 test. For then it was very hard as not enough time was given to complete section. exam content removed by moderatorwhich is near to impossible to finish for their age. Feeling pity for poor kids. But I am sure not many student could finish the test with such a tight timeline. My question is why they have changed the test format this year when on their website it clearly mention, they have same format and time allocation as kent test?
poppypups

Re: Shepway/folkstone test 2019

Post by poppypups »

Hi,

I have been lurking on these forums for a while but not contributed but thought I would today as you are specifically asking about the Shepway test which my daughter sat in 2018.

The format for the Shepway test isn't exactly the same as the Kent Test. The Kent Test is set by GL. The Shepway test has two parts, a written piece of work and a computerised section.

The section for the written work was about an hour-long from memory and is marked in-house by the Folkestone School for Girls. The computer section is set by CEM and as far as I can tell, this is the section that is more time pressured. This part covers the same things as the Kent test. I think there are several sections and they are timed. I also think the questions flit between reasoning, English and maths rather than whole sections for each, which is perhaps why your children found it different to the Kent Test. Also, the computer section only contributes to half the final mark. Another bonus, they don't need to achieve a minimum mark in any one section (unlike the Kent test). So long as their total mark is high enough, they can apply for the grammar school.

If it's any consolation, more children pass the Shepway test each year than the Kent test. The Shepway test is there BECAUSE not enough children in Shepway pass the Kent test and so they need this additional test to fill the spaces! I have seen children from my daughter's primary school who would normally be considered borderline, pass the Shepway test and gain a place at the local grammar schools, so please don't worry.
Sunilvsn

Post by Sunilvsn »

Thank you so much for detailed reply. Really helpful and appreciated.
poppypups

Post by poppypups »

You're welcome, I was in the same position last year and will be again this time next year. It seems there is very little information out there about the Shepway test other than the very basic.

Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now