Out of Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tatiana

Re: Out of Catchment

Post by Tatiana »

Hi. Can anyone advise me if Tonbridge grammar for girls use a distance cut off for Governor places? We are about 17-18 miles away, lucky enough to have a 35 mins train route, so still considering the school. My DD scored 423 and she has a lot of chance as long as they dont have a distance tie breaker for governor places. Thank you.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Tatiana wrote:Hi. Can anyone advise me if Tonbridge grammar for girls use a distance cut off for Governor places? We are about 17-18 miles away, lucky enough to have a 35 mins train route, so still considering the school. My DD scored 423 and she has a lot of chance as long as they dont have a distance tie breaker for governor places. Thank you.
I think you are confusing a tie-breaker with distance generally. A distance tie-breaker will ONLY be used where there are two on the same score. As you know 423 is the maximum so this is not going to be an issue for your DD unless by some weird quirk there were all the Governor places offered to all girls on 423 (even if there are that many girls who scored 423 is unlikely) and nothing below which is highly highly unlikely.
fayecoco

Post by fayecoco »

Tatiana wrote:Hi. Can anyone advise me if Tonbridge grammar for girls use a distance cut off for Governor places? We are about 17-18 miles away, lucky enough to have a 35 mins train route, so still considering the school. My DD scored 423 and she has a lot of chance as long as they dont have a distance tie breaker for governor places. Thank you.
You worried too much. We live 14 miles away and DD got 421, our family are quite confident that she could get in ToGs. In the past few years, the cutoff scores for OOC were around 400, so a BIG jump is very unlikely this year. Take DD out for a celebration, she totally deserves it, well done to her!
Tatiana

Post by Tatiana »

Ladies, thank you very much for your comments.
ARCH

Post by ARCH »

arewenearlythere wrote:I received a reply from KCC on when they wil publish the Kent Test 2019 Excel report i.e. a report which shows the number of children who scored each total score, broken down by district and gender. This will enable amateur statisticans out there to work out likley cut-offs.

The email from the helpful KCC person says "The report is under review and will be uploaded to the website once it has been agreed. I cannot give you an exact timescale but I imagine there will be information on the website by next week".

I have emailed them too asking for this year 400+ scorers from OOC just to get an idea and they advised me to write to freedomofinformation@kent.gov.uk and so I did. The FOI guys came back saying it is not possible to disclose this information at this stage and suggested me to wait until it is available on public platform. However they did mention - " Please note that we routinely publish 2019 Kent Test results, broken down by District, within one week of Kent Test results being released".

So I hope we will have some clarity by next friday. I have huge respect for KCC because they are so prompt in their responses dealing with million requests unlike other horrible councils who dont even bother to answer your phone or emails.
Sozkiz

Post by Sozkiz »

Ludixon wrote:So I'm utterly confused about Skinners out of area and I didn't realise that their entrance criteria had changed since first-born took the test 2 years ago.

DC scored 376, in years gone by I *think* he would have got in on the first round, defo the second, but I've just read that there are only 20 places available for OOC. Are places given on score, or distance ? We are 14 miles away. Would he be given a space over someone who has scored, say, 374 but is 10 miles away? Or is it totally a distance thing now? :?
We went to the Skinners open day and asked the admissions officer who said not to bother putting Skinners down at all (we live in Orpington). They said that it was purely down to distance from the school and very unlikely to come out to Orpington so don't waste a space. We duly left with our tail between our legs :(
countrylifeKat

Post by countrylifeKat »

Sozkid - thats frustrating for you - its probably because i believe nearly all of the OOC places for Skinners end up going to pupils who live in East Sussex which is OOC but geographically very close to the school, literally just over the border
Bexleymum2608

Post by Bexleymum2608 »

Seendy1 wrote:
Bexleymum2608 wrote:Hi, my DD scored 387 and we are OOC, does she have a chance in Dartford Grammar for Girls
Hi Bexleymum,

Well gone to your DD on such a great pass. We are OOC too, aiming for DGGS. I check and it appears that last year the cut off was 385! But gradually went down to 383.

Historically anything above 385 is “safe”.

My DD scored 386! I am super proud of her but can’t quite relax just yet
Well done to your DD as well..Thanks for the reply.. it’s really stressful thinking kids worked so hard and still not sure if they’ll get into their choice of school...
TemiO

Post by TemiO »

Hi everyone, congratulations on the superb scores have seen on this forum. My DD scored 381 and we aim for DGGS. I'm aware the cut off for OOC last year was 385 on offer day going down to 383 on the second round. Is anyone aware of the lowest score offered down the line? Thank you.
georgiadani

Post by georgiadani »

Hi all, my DD scored 387 too. We will put DGGS on our CAF. We can’t decide on whether to put Townley, Dartford or Newstead as 1st choice. Good luck to you all! I’m just happy all the 11 plus stress is over.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now