Tonbridge Girls Grammar v Newstead Wood

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KelBel18

Re: Tonbridge Girls Grammar v Newstead Wood

Post by KelBel18 »

Newsteadmum1 wrote:I have daughters at both schools and they are both excellent schools. Togs is not declining academically. Have a look at the EBacc point scores. To make your decision easier, think about whether your daughter is an all-rounder because Togs offer the IB only in the sixth form which suits some girls more than others. NW offer A levels usually 3 subjects. The IB means studying 6 subjects including maths and English after 16.

I hope this helps a bit?
Newsteadmum 1 - my daughter is an all rounder. She’s good at most things (apart from art!), she’s sporty and she is musical. I suspect Togs will be more suited to her but I do worry about the travel. How does your daughter at Togs find the journey, especially if she participates in after school clubs so travels home later some days?
I went to see both schools last year and Togs was definitely the more impressive of the two. I’m just thinking of practicalities.
Thanks for your help!
Newsteadmum1

Post by Newsteadmum1 »

My daughters have never attended after school clubs at either school because most of the clubs are at lunchtime.

The journey from Bickley station does look quite difficult. If your daughter can get to Orpington station every morning by 7.35am then it’s a quick and straightforward journey from there. It sounds like this will be the deciding factor in your case. I’m sure your daughter will reach her full potential in either school.
FridayNightDinner

Post by FridayNightDinner »

KelBel18I just thought I would chip in here to say that I have children who travel to Kent from Orpington for school. They say that the journey is one of the best parts of their day! It's a time to chat with their friends and have a bit of a laugh. They get used to the journey / longer day really quickly and I find that it develops their independence - they're both competent commuters now. I regularly check in with them that they are still happy with their schools/journeys and always get a positive reply.

But do be prepared for them having far-flung friends!
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Late joiner here.
My DD got 236 for NW and 416 for Kent. We are choosing NW over TOGS.
My older one is already in NW and she absolutely loves it. She actually looks forward to going to school every morning. Quite a lot of friends have children in the same school (but in different years) report the same. NW girls tend to be geeky and they accept other geeky girls with open arms. My older one is a little shy but she is thriving sociales and académically there. Unfortunately, some TOGS girls I know did not have the same experience and are keen to move to NW for the 6th form. (Two girls did move to NW two years ago but they found it academically challenging in NW, which to me seems like TOGS did not prepare them up to the same standard as NW. This brings us to the next point...)
Another important reason to choose NW over TOGS is Academic performance. Their results are better.
In addition, we are local to NW and TOGS is 20 miles away. My older one leaves home at 8.10am and arrives home between 4pm - 4.30pm, which makes a huge difference. She still enjoys her bus journey with other NW girls who are quite local to her. She made some really good friends from other forms as well. You will not miss out on building friendship on the journey by choosing NW.
Last edited by apprentice on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KelBel18

Post by KelBel18 »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback. We had to choose last Thursday and went for NW as first choice in the end. Fingers crossed for offer day now!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now