Tonbridge Girls Grammar v Newstead Wood

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sassy mum

Tonbridge Girls Grammar v Newstead Wood

Post by Sassy mum »

My DD passed both the Newstead Wood and Kent exams with scores of 230 and 412 respectively.
We're now in a position where we have to decide which of these schools would be first choice. Had an opportunity to visit Tonbridge recently but not Newstead. Would appreciate any useful information to help make an informed choice.
At the moment, DD likes both schools

Thanks
countrylifeKat

Re: Tonbridge Girls Grammar v Newstead Wood

Post by countrylifeKat »

Where do you live? If you're not sure between the two, go for the one which is closer/easier to get to. Long journeys are exhausting for these kids
Fanio

Post by Fanio »

Sassymom, we're in the same position - with almost identical scores (KCC 409, NWS 231) and we're also really interested in the answers, as these are our two top choices too.

We are in Orpington, so NWS is much closer and we are OOC for Kent. However, NWS does look a bit "dated" (in the way that council offices or an NHS hospital might), though by all accounts the girls will be properly stretched.

We haven't been to see TOGS yet, but have done a fair bit online research.
Hozan44

Post by Hozan44 »

We are also in the same position, 262 for Newstead and in county for Kent with 415.

We have seen both schools.

The GCSE results for Tonbridge Grammar seem to take a big dip in 2019. We would like to know why and whether it is a school that is declining from its 2014 peak days. Newstead trends seem to be on the up.

So hard to know.
fayecoco

Post by fayecoco »

Hello everyone, we are in the same position as you all.

We viewed both schools and my daughter set her heart on ToGs at the open evening, although she got a full score 280 in NW exam.

We have been advised to go to NW by a tutor and a mum whose DD already there, due to NW’s better academic performance. Also, we live in Orpington, NW is an easy access for us and can save thousands of pounds on train tickets per year. But DD just loves ToGs, she loves the campus, various clubs it offers and the school uniform over NW.

It is important DD is happy at school, so I respect her choice.
Last edited by fayecoco on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

It depends on your daughter. Mine is in year 8 at NW. She could have gone to TOGS, and actually WoK was our favourite school, but we chose NW based on distance (we're in Petts Wood). She's usually ready by 8.10am, so it would not have suited her to have to get up earlier to get the train. She's really enjoying NW and likes that it's close by. However it's all down to personal choice.

I'm going through the same decision making process with my son at the moment - we all love Dartford Grammar, but we'll put St. Olave's down as 1st choice as it's closer.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We made this decision a few years ago, choosing between Townley and its sparkly buildings and facilities and ToGS and its amazing offering to and also chose NW for proximity and that DD identified more with the girls then when looking round. She is currently in Y10 and loving it. They do have slightly smaller classes too at NW with 27 in the lower school classes. The school don’t do blocking for GCSEs so it is genuinely about the girls getting their combination of choices beyond the compulsory ones. DD loves Engineering - I don’t know if Tonbridge offer this? Yes it is tired building wise but that is as they spend more on teaching.

You may already be bored of my threads but just in case you haven’t seen this recent one about Newstead it may answer some of your questions https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 51&t=59331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KelBel18

Post by KelBel18 »

A year on and it’s now our turn to have this same dilemma! I am leaning towards NW as we live in Bickley. However I have this niggling worry about high pressure at Newstead
- this is purely down to the usual rumour-mill and not something I’ve heard from anyone who actually has a daughter at the school so I’m guessing it’s probably totally unfounded! My daughter is very bright and I think she would cope with a bit of pressure but it does worry me a little as I really want her to be happy. I’d be interested to hear your experiences... I’m looking for reassurance really!
My daughter is keen on TOGS due to their virtual open-day videos - she’s never actually been there! I’m just not sure about the long journey down there.
Thanks for your help!
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

I haven't viewed ToGS but I'm quite surprised by the responses here as have always been told that ToGS is a cut above Weald/ NWS and in fact was advised not to visit it as 'everyone who see it, loves it and finds it hard to consider anywhere else'. I believe this viewpoint is based on the facilities, general learning/ school environment and added-extras available, rather than their results (which still place TOGS above NWS in most league tables I understand, but I haven't checked in the last year or so).

My daughter did not achieve a high enough OOC Kent pass for to consider ToGs so it is not on our list, but by way of balance the 3 girls I know who chose TOGS over NWS in previous years (now in years 7 and 8) are fine commuting from Orpington/ Lockbottom and are absolutely adament that it was the best school for them. All 3 girls had the option of going to NWS. They have both said that the work at TOGS is always challenging but I would imagine that would be the case at either school.
Newsteadmum1

Post by Newsteadmum1 »

I have daughters at both schools and they are both excellent schools. Togs is not declining academically. Have a look at the EBacc point scores. To make your decision easier, think about whether your daughter is an all-rounder because Togs offer the IB only in the sixth form which suits some girls more than others. NW offer A levels usually 3 subjects. The IB means studying 6 subjects including maths and English after 16.

I hope this helps a bit?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now