Appeal to MGS or Oakwood

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slim76

Appeal to MGS or Oakwood

Post by slim76 »

Can anyone help me please?

My ds got 370 in his kent test but failed because his english score was 104. Can anyone tell me if I have much chance appealing to MGS or Oakwood Grammar Schools with this score? Do they let many children in on appeal etc? Thank you so much.
Notfar

Re: Appeal to MGS or Oakwood

Post by Notfar »

Oakwood will certainly let you in via parent appeal on those scores. I think you have been unlucky at headteacher appeal.
Oakwood have taken on boys who haven’t met the required number in all three disciplines.
Now it’s a case of bums on seats !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Schools don't let people in on appeal . The appellant and the admissions authority (the maintaining Local Authority, or the school itself if it is its own admissions authority) are the two ('opposing') sides each presenting its case (for or against admission, respectively) to the Independent Appeals Panel. The IAP alone is responsible for making the decision as to whether any individual appeal should be upheld. The other person in the equation is the Clerk, who takes the official notes of the proceedings and advises on legal issues, if required. This process is governed by the School Admission Appeals Code.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, it does apply to academies and free schools as well as to local authority schools. And grammar schools in Kent :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Peter

Post by Peter »

ToadMum wrote:Schools don't let people in on appeal . The appellant and the admissions authority (the maintaining Local Authority, or the school itself if it is its own admissions authority) are the two ('opposing') sides each presenting its case (for or against admission, respectively) to the Independent Appeals Panel. The IAP alone is responsible for making the decision as to whether any individual appeal should be upheld. The other person in the equation is the Clerk, who takes the official notes of the proceedings and advises on legal issues, if required. This process is governed by the School Admission Appeals Code.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, it does apply to academies and free schools as well as to local authority schools. And grammar schools in Kent :).
From my extensive experience, I disagree. For example, if a Presenting Officer chooses to tell the Panel that the school has no objections to an appeal being upheld, the Panel will have to agree as otherwise they would certainly lose on a complaint! A recent survey of Appeal Outcomes in Kent would tend to suggest that in too many cases the Panel process is not fit for purpose. Was there really not a single case strong enough out of the 93 heard at Dartford Girls Grammar? Were 86% of cases upheld at Highsted Grammar really all of grammar school ability? None of this takes away from the commitment of panellists. Imagine sitting through 93 appeals unable to find a single case strong enough to overcome the school's objections.

For what it is worth, the claim about Oakwood Park is wrong. For 2019 admissions 42% of the 128 appeals were turned down, although some of these were subsequently successful at Maidstone Grammar School.