Kents schools for OOC boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bunu1977

Kents schools for OOC boys

Post by bunu1977 »

Hi,

I live in Hampshire and planning to relocate to Kent. My son scored 397 in Kent test.
Any guess where my boy may get a place?

I am aware that Dartford Grammar School and Judd take OOC students. Is there any way I can find out the list of schools in Kent who are open to OOC students?

Thanks.
ToadMum

Re: Kents schools for OOC boys

Post by ToadMum »

bunu1977 wrote:Hi,

I live in Hampshire and planning to relocate to Kent. My son scored 397 in Kent test.

I am aware that Dartford Grammar School and Judd take OOC students. Is there any way I can find out the list of schools in Kent who are open to OOC students?

Thanks.
Here you go:
https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... ria-202021

I have no idea which of the Kent grammar schools is it's own admission authority and which is a community school, but details of both types are there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To be fair, OP just asked which Kent schools accept OCC not just Kent Grammar Schools....!! :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:To be fair, OP just asked which Kent schools accept OCC not just Kent Grammar Schools....!! :wink:
I have no idea which High School is of which variety, either :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
olucares

Post by olucares »

Thanks.
It depends when you plan to move, if it's before 1st week of December, you would be in catchment for several schools; Judd, Skinners, Gravesend Grammar, etc.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks.
Kent is a strange shaped county and although it may not appear huge transport isn't always great. You would certainly need to do some research before relocating. It may be sensible to identify either a school or area that you like first. Good luck.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Please don't take this too badly, but some of us would have investigated which, if any, schools were a possibility before entering our DC for the exam, rather than leaving it until 6 days before the CAF submission deadline.

Which schools did you visit, when deciding whether or not your DS should dit the Kent Test? Did none of them direct parents towards their admissions policy on their prospectus or in the HT's talk?
bunu1977

Post by bunu1977 »

Hello ToadMum,
Thanks for the reply.

I did some research and visited Dartford Grammar school and Judd.
Our target was Dartford Grammar and Judd. Not sure with 397 my son will get a place or not. That's why I have asked the question in the forum.

Thanks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If those are the ones that you have visited and like and know that there is definitely a category for OOC applicants (other than just 'all other applicants' way down the bottom after siblings, primary schools in the same MAT, living in next three villages, etc, etc - schools cannot refuse to allow some one to apply, but can legally engineer their admissions priorities), then it would make sense to just put the one you liked better over the other, with (presumably, unless you have to move to somewhere handy for both Dartford and Judd for other purposes anyway?) whatever your 'banker's school(s) is / are. Whether or not you qualify for a higher ranked school doesn't affect whether or not you qualify for lower ranked ones. It just means that if you can be offered more than one, you will only get an offer for the one you ranked the highest out of them.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

397 is a great score and would historically be safe for Dartford ooc, though it does seem to be a high scoring year. It would have got Judd two years ago but the changes to Skinners admissions have maybe put pressure on Judd, and last year's cut off was 402 at first and second round.

I don't know of other Kent grammars who keep places for ooc boys on score alone; doesn't mean there aren't any but we weren't planning to move so only looked at schools which were a reasonable distance from Orpington.