Tips for Year 5

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ciaowood

Re: Tips for Year 5

Post by ciaowood »

Thank you for all of your tips, I'll definitely be following them, especially the mocks around March/April time. It's hard to know what's too much and not enough but I guess each child is different. I like the momentum part during the holidays and I'll definitely look into starting a tutoring group session too. Can't do any harm :) . Thank you, it's all appreciated. Good luck with getting your chosen schools.
Fanio

Post by Fanio »

Our daughter did group tutoring from October of year 5 (alternating weeks: maths+VR, Eng + NVR); she had some homework but only tended to spend maybe an hour or so the day before - so outside of tutoring only spent max of 1 hour every two weeks per subject.

First mock tests in April. Results were a bit worse than expected (57% in NVR!!!). So we ramped things up a bit: She did more mock tests in June, July and August too, and we started doing 3 or 4 10-minute tests per day (weekdays only). We also arranged 5 sessions with a private tutor.

She then did an "intensive week" (again in a group) in early August, but after that we went abroad with a "no 11+ rule" for 10 days. The rest of August and early Sept we probably spent between 60-90 minutes per day. She did NO prep the day before the test.

She ended up scoring 409.
inthemedia

Post by inthemedia »

Both my boys were tutored (350 in 2017, 353 in 2019) on a one-to-one basis once a week for 12 months. Both myself and my husband work full time and homework is a bit of a sore point here (we tend to all fall out over such matters), so having someone else set the pace and steer them worked exceptionally well.

My eldest was far more diligent and was happy to do extra practice on top of his 1 hour weekly session. My youngest didn't want to do a jot extra, so we stepped off the gas and left it to the tutor.

I'd say for us practicing worded maths questions was key as they often involve 2 or 3 actual sums to get to the answers. Knowing times tables off by heart is also a good skill.

Mine are not big readers, which was a massive hindrance. I looked at the suggested reading lists with dread as I knew mine would never plow through the classics. Instead, I bought several of the Bond 10 minute comprehension tests so they read a variety of styles of text and became familiar with the types of questions that would appear. Mine excelled at non verbal reasoning where the answers where black and white, so they struggled with inference. We spent a lot of time going over highlighting the answers in the comprehension text - we used to say they needed to 'find the evidence' as their fact-based brains understood this better than feelings or suggested notions.

Whatever paper, the best thing we learned was to eliminate wrong answers to narrow the field. It really helps focus the mind and if they have to have a guess, it gives them a better chance of making the right decision.

My eldest is now in year 8 and is thriving at grammar, so I don't buy into the whole 'if they're tutored, they struggle'. There has to be a base level of natural ability, true, but the school guided us about both son's ability so I knew I wasn't sending them to impending doom. Plus, the 11+ tests such a narrow set of skills. My eldest is excelling at languages and other subjects not in the Kent Test.

HTH
BedknobandBroomstick

Post by BedknobandBroomstick »

Just as a matter of interest is there a curriculum that can be followed for each of the subjects, specially maths
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

BedknobandBroomstick wrote:Just as a matter of interest is there a curriculum that can be followed for each of the subjects, specially maths

....well, the most obvious one, might be the National Curriculum...... :shock:
inthemedia

Post by inthemedia »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
BedknobandBroomstick wrote:Just as a matter of interest is there a curriculum that can be followed for each of the subjects, specially maths

....well, the most obvious one, might be the National Curriculum...... :shock:
I think it's generally thought a lot of the maths that crop up in the 11+ test are covered in the National Curriculum in year 6, so they won't have come across a lot of the material before, or not covered it in enough depth to answer the questions accurately. Reasoning isn't really taught on the curriculum - this is the part of the 11+ that's more like a MENSA test and needs to be exposed to children beforehand. English - our primary school does lots of comprehension tasks in years 5 and 6, so that was useful. Basics like spelling tests and times tables should be part of the school week and are vital to the 11+ but could be expanded on at home. HTH
BedknobandBroomstick

Post by BedknobandBroomstick »

That's for the reply 'inthemedia', more useful than KenyanCowGirl response. So KS2 curriculum for Maths
Nella

Post by Nella »

I know we are from a different area but have you checked the information from Kent county council? The familiarisation paper will give you an idea of the level. I’ve had a quick squizz out of interest and the level of maths is that covered up to the start of year 6; however it says some of the questions might be a bit much tricky but will be using the knowledge already gained. I would have thought there is absolutely no need to cover yr 6 maths.
ciaowood

Post by ciaowood »

Thank you. It's so interesting, and extremely useful, to see what different strategies everyone uses. I know exactly what you mean about the homework situation lol - it's usually war in our house with my youngest, I kid you not! I know I shouldn't, but I just want to roll on next September and, come what may, never open another 11 plus book ever!
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

I found [company name removed] to be very helpful. It costs about £6 per month and can be cancelled at any time. It has 10 minute tests as well as full assessments and you can do as many as you like. It was particularly useful in maths as it breaks questions down into subject areas so that you can easily see where your child is weak and needs extra work. The assessments are also timed so it helps them practice working at speed too. I used it up until about Easter then we moved onto proper past papers.

Neither of my children had a tutor or did any mock exams. They just did the above at home with me. They both passed and are now both in a school that is 100% right for them.

Good Luck - I kind of miss the 11+ days. It was so much simpler then, now I have to deal with a stroppy teenager who doesn't want to do any work towards G.C.S.E's!!

Company recommendations by PM please
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now