Travel - Thurrock to Dartford Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Encapsulate

Travel - Thurrock to Dartford Grammar

Post by Encapsulate »

DS scored well in both the Kent and Essex 11+, but being based in Grays all of our grammar options involve a commute (we don't want to move house).

Traffic permitting, Dartford seems like the best choice and is also our son's preferred school.

Is anyone aware of any existing public/shared private transport from Thurrock to Dartford Grammar? Or are there any other parents in the same boat who would be interested in jointly arranging some form of transport over the river?

doodles

Re: Travel - Thurrock to Dartford Grammar

Post by doodles »

Congratulations to your dc encapsulate. Would it be worth calling the school and finding out if they have any other pupils who travel across the crossing? They may be able to give you some travel info. I fear your ds may be very much at the mercy of the M25 :shock:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

scary mum
Clawhit

Post by Clawhit »

One boy in my Ds’s year either gets 3 trains or he cycles to the bridge calls transport using the phone at the bridge gets over with bike on back of Dartford bridge transport then cycles the remainder the other end ....... he’s done that since day 1 at DGS eek! I have to say though in his defence this boy is so determined and definitely going places :))
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Clawhit wrote:One boy in my Ds’s year either gets 3 trains or he cycles to the bridge calls transport using the phone at the bridge gets over with bike on back of Dartford bridge transport then cycles the remainder the other end ....... he’s done that since day 1 at DGS eek! I have to say though in his defence this boy is so determined and definitely going places :))
:shock:

I've seen a fairly young Dartford (boys') uniform on the platform at West Ham at about 7 am, presumably waiting for a friend coming off the other bit of the C2C line. West Ham - London Bridge - Dartford, then a brisk walk up the hill in that case, possibly?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Clawhit

Post by Clawhit »

I know this boy on the days he trains it he leaves home at 6.30am - DGS was his choice no pushing at all from the parents - just a very admirable determined young boy add in his rugby and music classes every week an example on knowing what you want and going for it at a young age. My DS on the other hand is geeky smart but I still wouldn’t trust him to get off the bus stop at the correct stop - oh the difference in children!
Mom0407

Post by Mom0407 »

Encapsulate wrote:DS scored well in both the Kent and Essex 11+, but being based in Grays all of our grammar options involve a commute (we don't want to move house).

Traffic permitting, Dartford seems like the best choice and is also our son's preferred school.

Is anyone aware of any existing public/shared private transport from Thurrock to Dartford Grammar? Or are there any other parents in the same boat who would be interested in jointly arranging some form of transport over the river?

Hi All,

Just want to know whether there are any coaches running between Thurrock & Dartford .
We stay close by to Shenfield.

I can drive to school, but afraid of traffic on a daily basis.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thank you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mom0407 wrote:
Encapsulate wrote:DS scored well in both the Kent and Essex 11+, but being based in Grays all of our grammar options involve a commute (we don't want to move house).

Hi All,

Just want to know whether there are any coaches running between Thurrock & Dartford .

Thank you.
How would tour DC get to Thurrock and back? If you are driving them that far, you might as well go the whole hog and drive them to school. Or is it driving over the bridge that you are frightened of?

I assume that your DS didn't get a high enough score for KEGS or SHSB, since they would be the obvious grammar schools to choose from Shenfield, KEGS only being a few minutes on the train and a similar walk?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Mom0407 wrote:

Hi All,

Thank you.
As OOC your DC will have needed to score very highly indeed in the Kent test to qualify for Dartford, just highlighting this as some Kent schools only require a pass which can cause confusion with those who are not overly familiar with County, but then you have to usually be in a specified Parish for those schools. Dartford does have places for OOC children, but for the Boys school the score in past years on offer day has been well over 400 and with higher scores this year - no one knows what the impact will be on the cut-off.

The journey from Shenfield to Dartford sounds impractical to me - sorry. With no traffic you are talking 35 minutes, at rush hour triple that, possibly with regular meltdowns and blockages, a coach is going to suffer the same problems as a car. What DD loves about her school (1.4 miles away from our home) is getting there herself, chatting with friends before school, staying afterwards for rehearsals etc. Those that get driven or get the coach tend to get left out or can't join in with impromptu meet ups. A longish train journey is probably the best compromise for some as they can spend time with friends and do homework but Shenfield to Dartford by public transport just doesn't look do-able.
Encapsulate

Post by Encapsulate »

Don't think scores should be a problem as DS got 415 in the Kent test.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now