Kents schools for OOC boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BR5mum

Re: Kents schools for OOC boys

Post by BR5mum »

Wilmington Grammar for Boys has 15 places for top 10% scorers in English + Reasoning.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

BR5mum wrote:Wilmington Grammar for Boys has 15 places for top 10% scorers in English + Reasoning.
This now only extends the distance to 5 miles I believe. The Wilmington boys Governor places used to have no distance attached to them but this has changed recently.
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:
BR5mum wrote:Wilmington Grammar for Boys has 15 places for top 10% scorers in English + Reasoning.
This now only extends the distance to 5 miles I believe. The Wilmington boys Governor places used to have no distance attached to them but this has changed recently.
You're right, thanks for spotting that. Good thing I didn't bother going to see it then!
water007

Post by water007 »

olucares wrote:
bunu1977 wrote:Hi,

I live in Hampshire and planning to relocate to Kent. My son scored 397 in Kent test.
Any guess where my boy may get a place?

I am aware that Dartford Grammar School and Judd take OOC students. Is there any way I can find out the list of schools in Kent who are open to OOC students?

Thanks.
It depends when you plan to move, if it's before 1st week of December, you would be in catchment for several schools; Judd, Skinners, Gravesend Grammar, etc.
My DS has only the bare minimum cut off of 330 and feel that we could get TWGSB if we are in the catchment (maybe im being too optimistic!). One thing I find it bit bizzare is about moving by Dec 13, as you have to unsettle the kids for 6 months and then again another school change by Sep...i want to know what others think about this process....is there any way out from this?
SashaK

Post by SashaK »

The effect of all the children moving into the area is to take the places of children who have been living in the area all their lives and whose parents are unable to move even nearer to the school of their choice. I know children who live 2.5 miles from their nearer grammar school who were unable to get in due to the admissions criteria and last minute movers.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

water007 wrote:
olucares wrote:

I live in Hampshire and planning to relocate to Kent. My son scored 397 in Kent test.

I am aware that Dartford Grammar School and Judd take OOC students. Is there any way I can find out the list of schools in Kent who are open to OOC students?

Thanks.
It depends when you plan to move, if it's before 1st week of December, you would be in catchment for several schools; Judd, Skinners, Gravesend Grammar, etc.
My DS has only the bare minimum cut off of 330 and feel that we could get TWGSB if we are in the catchment (maybe im being too optimistic!). One thing I find it bit bizzare is about moving by Dec 13, as you have to unsettle the kids for 6 months and then again another school change by Sep...i want to know what others think about this process....is there any way out from this?
I don't think its bizarre at all. TWGSB is a grammar school which is designed primarily for local boys who pass the 11+.

It is up to you whether you want to move your family ( with all the consequent upheaval) close enough to the school to guarantee a place at the school and there is a very short window to do this. Admissions are ranked by distance - the Admissions authority need to be able to rank your DS in time for the National Offer Day in March according to his address at a cut off point which they have chosen as being in Dec. It would be impractical to delay ranking until after the end of Year 6! You could always move later than Dec and put your son on the waiting list but there is no guarantee that your DS will get a place at TWGSB or at another school that you like in the area.

Good luck with your decisions.
mum24

Post by mum24 »

water007 wrote:
olucares wrote:

Thanks.
Water007 - it would be really helpful to people in this group, particularly those with younger children who will be sitting the 11+ in the future if you could email kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk and post your child's raw and standardised scores on the raw scores 2019 thread as they got exactly the cut off on each paper. Thank you!
doodles

Post by doodles »

water007 wrote:
olucares wrote:

Thanks.
Water007 if I remember correctly from your other post your DS got less than the required 110 in one of the papers - has he been assessed as suitable for GS as the result of a HTA? If he hasn't then you need to consider very carefully whether it's worth uprooting your family and moving to Kent when he may not be awarded a place at GS.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

water007 wrote:

I think the real idea behind it is to encourage children to go the school in their local area, either an area they have lived in for some time or they plan to move at the end of year 4 giving the child the chance to get to know people. It is probably meant to discourage people from taking multiple exams and then moving at the last minute, which I agree is disruptive for the children
mum24

Post by mum24 »

Looking back, Doodles is correct - Water007 has previously posted that their DS scores 108 in one paper and they were asking for advice to see if they were eligible for a grammar school place.

The email is pretty non-obvious and most people have to read it a few times to understand it! If the initial Kent Test Result email says your child has been assessed suitable for a Kent High School, that means they do not qualify for a grammar school place. In this case the 13th December cut off does not affect you - your child will not be allocated a grammar school in the normal allocation of places in March regardless of where you live.

You can, however, appeal for a place following the March allocation. Unfortunately, there is expected to be a deficit of 114 grammar school spaces in West Kent for 2020 starters, so I am not sure there will be many spaces available for appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now