Down but not out!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dartford Dad

Down but not out!

Post by Dartford Dad »

Since lunchtime today I have been feeling deflated. Daughters scores NVR140 VR137 Maths110. See i say deflated, but happy, I mean they are great I am really pleased but sort of flat. Dont know really. After the effort, the anticipation, the finger crossing, the worry and excitement, is that it? My 10 year old has seemingly taken the news well. Probably helped by the fact 3 of her best friends are going to the school she has been allocated.
I've explained the appeal procedure to her, but as of bed time she was reluctant for me to try. Perhaps she does not want to go through all the drama, perhaps she likes the idea of being with her friends, perhaps she doesn't fully understand some of the benefits of a grammar school education.Maybe she thinks she done her best and it just wasn't to be. Maybe she feels like me. I think i'll leave it for a couple of days before raising the subject again, let us all get our thoughts together. Sorry for rambling on.
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

Hi Dartford Dad

What great scores, this is where it seems to be so unfair. Today my DD got her first choice grammar and I do not know her scores, but I bet collectively they aren't as high as your daughters. Not that I know for sure. Your daughter was let down by the maths. Definitely worthy of an appeal. If you put Wilmington Girls Grammar on your CAF they are supposed to be good for appeals....

Good Luck
hooter

Post by hooter »

dartford dad

My daughter's scores seem similar to your's with VR 135 NVR 138 and Maths 104. Daughter seems to have similar attitude to your's too. Not because of friends going to same school, just because she appreciates that she did her best but it wasn't quite enough this time.

I have never drummed it into her that it is "grammar or nothing". It seems that many parents on here think that is the case. She will excel at whatever school she goes to.....if she is happy!
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

hooter wrote:dartford dad

My daughter's scores seem similar to your's with VR 135 NVR 138 and Maths 104. Daughter seems to have similar attitude to your's too. Not because of friends going to same school, just because she appreciates that she did her best but it wasn't quite enough this time.

I have never drummed it into her that it is "grammar or nothing". It seems that many parents on here think that is the case. She will excel at whatever school she goes to.....if she is happy!
Your posts are positive, despite your child 'failing.'

A lot of parents here don't seem able to grasp that many of our secondary schools have an 'all-ability' intake with classes where children of 'like ability' are taught. And extensive research by several experts has proved that those children in the top streams of all ability schools do equally as well (and is some cases, better) than those in grammars.

I know that it's easy for me to say this as I didn't have a child going through this stressful time this year myself (although I've had my time, in the past,) but I think this fact is something that disappointed parents need to hold onto. Grammar school is not the 'be all and end all' despite the way the myth is perpetuated. Those parents of very bright children who do not put their child through the stress of the 11+ and would rather they went to a comprehensive know what they are doing.

Keep your spirits up! :)
Dartford Dad

Post by Dartford Dad »

Thanks for your replies. Our daughter has now agreed for us to appeal her a place at Wilmington. I have spoken to the school, who advised that they still have places available after the first allocation. My wife and I have read the appeals Q+As and are concerned that we can offer no extenuating circumstances. We feel she just didn't perform well enough on the day.
It seems most near misses were because of the Maths paper. Maths has normally been her best subject. Although we understand the basics of Standardised scoring,(born middle August) we feel the low score may be something to do with either, not being tutored, or more likely, not having covered certain areas of the test at school. 5 points does seem alot to make up at appeal, but there is nothing to lose.
We both agree with both c'est la vie and hooter that a grammar school is not the be all and end all, and we are sure She will thrive at whichever school she attends.
P.S my wife went to the school now allocated and turned out fine, well I married her!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm sure you could use the fact that NVR is linked to Maths ability to show her 11+ score was a 'blip' especially if you have level 5 KS2 predictions.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Dartford, Dad,

Please appeal. You don't have to have any extenuating cicrumstances. Just be honest and say she should have done better. Then look at her brilliant NVR score - this shows the potential in Maths.

Good luck.