Kent test 2020 results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pl1688

Re: Kent test 2020 results

Post by Pl1688 »

Marija wrote:Can anyone help, please? My son scored 380 and we are OOC. The only school that makes for us is Dartford Gramar but we are still 10 miles as the crow flies. I see lots of people who are very knowledgeable, so could anyone comment on whether we have any chance based on previous years? Usual caveats, understandable.
DGS OOC cut-off scores (1st March) for last three years has been trending up: 381, 391, 399. Even the IC cut-off score last year was 379. I would say your chances are very slim and you should be focused on other schools.
Marija

Post by Marija »

Thank you very much for your kind reply.
spidergirl

Post by spidergirl »

Hi all,

My son got 402 and we're OCC, does he have a chance with Dartford Grammar School. I understand you needs to score above 399 for Dartford Grammar. Is this score sufficient enough to get him a place.

Thank you.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

From a very quick look at the data it looks like at around the 400 mark a 400 this year is similar percentage passing to a 396 last year, so a school asking for 396 last year might be expecting 400 this year. By the time you get to around 385 the figures look fairly similar to last year so I guess that suggests that competition for out of county places will be fierce but inner county might look more similar to previous years. It intuitively makes sense as those who had lessons throughout lockdown and had no other extra curriculum activities have probably exceeded their expectations.

I am not sure though what the impact will be East to West. I think that in the East I read that more children get in on headteacher appeal, and it does look as if there are quite a few low scoring children heading to a grammar school. This might mean that more of the higher scorers are in the West putting more pressure on the schools on Kent borders bumping scores up. I don't think many super selective scores will be dropping down below last year.
Guest14

Post by Guest14 »

DD scored 407 for Kent. The Kent results spreadsheet indicates there is a higher percentage of those who have scored a high mark this year. Worried if DD would get into Dartford Grammar School for Girls? We are OOC

She is amongst top 180 for Bexley but prefers DGGS
Fabatnear40

Post by Fabatnear40 »

Pl1688 wrote:
Marija wrote:Can anyone help, please? My son scored 380 and we are OOC. The only school that makes for us is Dartford Gramar but we are still 10 miles as the crow flies. I see lots of people who are very knowledgeable, so could anyone comment on whether we have any chance based on previous years? Usual caveats, understandable.
DGS OOC cut-off scores (1st March) for last three years has been trending up: 381, 391, 399. Even the IC cut-off score last year was 379. I would say your chances are very slim and you should be focused on other schools.

I agree with you completely. The competition for places for 2021 will be very high. My son scored 403 and he's in county, I can only imagine what the OOC requirements will be. DGS has no intention from what I understand to lower their score to make accommodations, not for the first or so rounds anyway. Your best bet would be to explore Wilmington or Gravesend.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Fabatnear40 wrote:
Pl1688 wrote:

I agree with you completely. The competition for places for 2021 will be very high. My son scored 403 and he's in county, I can only imagine what the OOC requirements will be. DGS has no intention from what I understand to lower their score to make accommodations, not for the first or so rounds anyway. Your best bet would be to explore Wilmington or Gravesend.
Within each category, Dartford Grammar School admits in ranked score order. There is nothing for it to lower, other than for some reason saying that it will go allocating places below the Kent Test threshold, i.e admit those not deemed 'suitable for grammar. The cut off score comes purely from the score of the applicant being offered the last available place. So for the 90 'any place of residence' places, the first 90 on the ranked list could be 89 with a score of 390+ and one with 370, if that happened to be the pattern of application (yes, an extreme example, but theoretically possible) and therefore 370 would be the cut-off on March 1st.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest14 wrote:DD scored 407 for Kent. The Kent results spreadsheet indicates there is a higher percentage of those who have scored a high mark this year. Worried if DD would get into Dartford Grammar School for Girls? We are OOC

She is amongst top 180 for Bexley but prefers DGGS
what did you put on the CAF?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Those in some boroughs eg Bromley can change their CAF preferences upto Thursday so even if a CAF had been submitted changes can be made.
Hopeful123***

Post by Hopeful123*** »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Those in some boroughs eg Bromley can change their CAF preferences upto Thursday so even if a CAF had been submitted changes can be made.
Yes and this is happening in Bromley and Bexley. There seems to be so many high scorers, most parents I’ve spoken to are all talking about scores north of 400. I also know a few that are now changing their CAF and putting DGS above Beth’s. My hunch is that the OOC score for DGS will rocket this year - my guess (and it’s purely a guess, no maths involved here) is that OOC for DGS will increase to say 408-412 region. I also suspect that next year (2022 entry) it will then drop back to a more acceptable level.

But I could be wrong ....