Kent test 2020 results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marija

Re: Kent test 2020 results

Post by Marija »

DGS OOC cut-off scores (1st March) for last three years has been trending up: 381, 391, 399. Even the IC cut-off score last year was 379. I would say your chances are very slim and you should be focused on other schools.
I agree with you completely. The competition for places for 2021 will be very high. My son scored 403 and he's in county, I can only imagine what the OOC requirements will be. DGS has no intention from what I understand to lower their score to make accommodations, not for the first or so rounds anyway. Your best bet would be to explore Wilmington or Gravesend.
Within each category, Dartford Grammar School admits in ranked score order. There is nothing for it to lower, other than for some reason saying that it will go allocating places below the Kent Test threshold, i.e admit those not deemed 'suitable for grammar. The cut off score comes purely from the score of the applicant being offered the last available place. So for the 90 'any place of residence' places, the first 90 on the ranked list could be 89 with a score of 390+ and one with 370, if that happened to be the pattern of application (yes, an extreme example, but theoretically possible) and therefore 370 would be the cut-off on March 1st.
Right! Sorry, I just saw your post - apologies, not nice, after asking for help. Yes, I think I understand now (maybe), since we are OOC and not in the first 90, the score itself doesn't mean that much. Unless I misunderstand something about ranks. Does DG has something akin to bands which is used by some comprehensive schools?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Marija wrote:
DGS OOC cut-off scores (1st March) for last three years has been trending up: 381, 391, 399. Even the IC cut-off score last year was 379. I would say your chances are very slim and you should be focused on other schools.
I agree with you completely. The competition for places for 2021 will be very high. My son scored 403 and he's in county, I can only imagine what the OOC requirements will be. DGS has no intention from what I understand to lower their score to make accommodations, not for the first or so rounds anyway. Your best bet would be to explore Wilmington or Gravesend.
Within each category, Dartford Grammar School admits in ranked score order. There is nothing for it to lower, other than for some reason saying that it will go allocating places below the Kent Test threshold, i.e admit those not deemed 'suitable for grammar. The cut off score comes purely from the score of the applicant being offered the last available place. So for the 90 'any place of residence' places, the first 90 on the ranked list could be 89 with a score of 390+ and one with 370, if that happened to be the pattern of application (yes, an extreme example, but theoretically possible) and therefore 370 would be the cut-off on March 1st.
Right! Sorry, I just saw your post - apologies, not nice, after asking for help. Yes, I think I understand now (maybe), since we are OOC and not in the first 90, the score itself doesn't mean that much. Unless I misunderstand something about ranks. Does DG has something akin to bands which is used by some comprehensive schools?
No, looking at the school's admissions policy, it just ranks everyone by score, then after LAC, the first 90 highest scoring applicants who live within the catchment area are offered first, then the 90 with the highest scores from the remaining applicants, wherever they live. I would assume that this list will start off with the highest scoring OOC applicants, the highest of which may or may not be higher than the score of the 'top' IC boy. But then there may be a point where the next highest ranked score is an IC applicant.

C. OVER-SUBSCRIPTION CRITERIA
In the case of over-subscription, places are allocated in the order set out below. Within each section below,
students are ranked according to the applicant’s combined test scores in the Kent Tests. Please note that in
the case of tied scores, preference is given to the applicant living nearest to the school.*
1. Children in Local Authority Care or Previously in Local Authority Care – a 'looked after child' or a
child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject
to an adoption, child arrangements, or special guardianship order. A looked after child is a child
who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local
authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in Section 22(1) of
the Children Act 1989).
2. Zone A - Up to a maximum of 90 places are reserved for boys whose primary residence (as
assessed by documents requested by the school) lies within the Dartford Electoral Wards: Brent,
Bean and Darenth, Castle, Greenhithe, Heath, Joyce Green, Joydens Wood, Littlebrook, Longfield,
New Barn & Southfleet, Newtown, Princes, Stone, Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley, Swanscombe,
Town, West Hill, Wilmington. Maps indicating the defined area are given below in Appendix A. All
applicants eligible within this category will pay council tax to Dartford Borough Council. The
school is ‘full’ within Zone A when it has taken its quota of 90 pupils or when there are no more
candidates who have passed the tests and have named the school as a preference. Any places left
unfilled are added to the number of places available in category 3 of the oversubscription criteria.
3. The remaining 90 places will be available for all applicants regardless of address. (Please
note that all students applying to Dartford Grammar School including those in Zone A will be
ranked in this category for the purposes of allocation.)

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... 1-2022.pdf

The fair banding system is quite different, allocating places by e.g. distance from school within ability bands according to the distribution of ability as demonstrated in the assessment.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Marija

Post by Marija »

No, looking at the school's admissions policy, it just ranks everyone by score, then after LAC, the first 90 highest scoring applicants who live within the catchment area are offered first, then the 90 with the highest scores from the remaining applicants, wherever they live. I would assume that this list will start off with the highest scoring OOC applicants, the highest of which may or may not be higher than the score of the 'top' IC boy. But then there may be a point where the next highest ranked score is an IC applicant.

C. OVER-SUBSCRIPTION CRITERIA
In the case of over-subscription, places are allocated in the order set out below. Within each section below,
students are ranked according to the applicant’s combined test scores in the Kent Tests. Please note that in
the case of tied scores, preference is given to the applicant living nearest to the school.*
1. Children in Local Authority Care or Previously in Local Authority Care – a 'looked after child' or a
child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject
to an adoption, child arrangements, or special guardianship order. A looked after child is a child
who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local
authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in Section 22(1) of
the Children Act 1989).
2. Zone A - Up to a maximum of 90 places are reserved for boys whose primary residence (as
assessed by documents requested by the school) lies within the Dartford Electoral Wards: Brent,
Bean and Darenth, Castle, Greenhithe, Heath, Joyce Green, Joydens Wood, Littlebrook, Longfield,
New Barn & Southfleet, Newtown, Princes, Stone, Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley, Swanscombe,
Town, West Hill, Wilmington. Maps indicating the defined area are given below in Appendix A. All
applicants eligible within this category will pay council tax to Dartford Borough Council. The
school is ‘full’ within Zone A when it has taken its quota of 90 pupils or when there are no more
candidates who have passed the tests and have named the school as a preference. Any places left
unfilled are added to the number of places available in category 3 of the oversubscription criteria.
3. The remaining 90 places will be available for all applicants regardless of address. (Please
note that all students applying to Dartford Grammar School including those in Zone A will be
ranked in this category for the purposes of allocation.)

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... 1-2022.pdf

The fair banding system is quite different, allocating places by e.g. distance from school within ability bands according to the distribution of ability as demonstrated in the assessment.
Gosh, thank you. I think I will give up and wait (rather then detonate my feeble brain) - I have a very tricky home situation so I am utterly worried. If my boy doesn't get to DG, it will be even trickier. Thank you again for giving me helpful pointers. I really appreciate that.