angles on a parallel , the compass topic and Venn diagrams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elevenplusforum78

angles on a parallel , the compass topic and Venn diagrams

Post by elevenplusforum78 »

Hi all - help please!!

Do children need to know how to work out angles on parallel lines - I believe this is a year 9 topic/GCSE but a group of mums I know believe they need to know this topic. we know that angles on a straight line add up to 180...

Also, are the most tricky Venn diagram questions when they need to know prime / cubed/ squared/ triangular numbers? Indeed, they may not even need to know triangular numbers? what are your thoughts on this please?

My last query related to bearings, angles related to compass work - could anyone advise on the most difficult question they could be asked or could someone direct me to a good website on this topic?

feeling a bit overwhelmed by the need for my child to possibly know more at this late stage? but I don't know how necessary some of the above is !!

Thank you so much if you can help.
scary mum

Re: angles on a parallel , the compass topic and Venn diagra

Post by scary mum »

Which schools is your child sitting the exams for - it may make a difference which 11 plus is being sat? For example, in Bucks the tests should not go beyond the year 5 syllabus.
I would also be wary of schoolgate chat about the 11 plus, some incredible myths build up!
scary mum
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

elevenplusforum78 wrote:Hi all - help please!!

Do children need to know how to work out angles on parallel lines - I believe this is a year 9 topic/GCSE but a group of mums I know believe they need to know this topic. we know that angles on a straight line add up to 180...

Also, are the most tricky Venn diagram questions when they need to know prime / cubed/ squared/ triangular numbers? Indeed, they may not even need to know triangular numbers? what are your thoughts on this please?

My last query related to bearings, angles related to compass work - could anyone advise on the most difficult question they could be asked or could someone direct me to a good website on this topic?

feeling a bit overwhelmed by the need for my child to possibly know more at this late stage? but I don't know how necessary some of the above is !!

Thank you so much if you can help.
The books this website are good. Buy the hardest ones. There's maths and numerical reasoning.
elevenplusforum78

Well, my tutor who I am becoming increasingly sceptical about concurs that they need to know these. as well as rotation , enlargement and translation and reflection on a grid ...(year 9 topics I believe ?)

we are sitting GL assessment Kent test
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

we are sitting GL assessment Kent test
Would you like me to move this to the Kent section?

I don't know much abou the kent test, and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. However, the familiarisation booklet states:
The maths test contains a series of multiple-choice questions covering a variety of
topics taught in most schools up to the start of Year 6. A small number of questions
are based on things you will have been taught but may be more difficult than you
are used to. This is so you can show how you use the maths skills you already have to
solve new kinds of problem.
scary mum
elevenplusforum78

yes please do move to the Kent test section and my other post from today too. Interesting - I think they do need to know a lot of the year 6 syllabus as algebra isn't covered at all in year 5. thank you.

my tutor is clearly wrong believing they need to know all of year 6!
Nella

Post by Nella »

I’m very sceptical about tutors. It’s in their interest for you to believe that the 11+ test contains all this advanced maths and therefore you will keep on giving them money.

I’ve no idea about the level of the test in your area but I would sincerely hope that the level is no higher than that which they would have covered in a ‘normal’ year 5. Greater depth is acceptable and being able to use the principles learned up until the end of yr 5. Anything else will put the children whose parents can’t afford tutors at a major disadvantage. It becomes a case of who can afford it. Fundamentally wrong.

Anyway- if these questions did appear they would only be a few marks so I would be inclined to not bother learning this stuff (leave until secondary school) and advise your child to guess and move on!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD didn’t come across anything in the Kent maths test when she sat it that she hasn’t covered. For the reasoning they did have cubes and nets which we tried to practice but she never developed a talent for them so we ditched spending too much time on them. In the end she scored well despite not finishing all the maths questions. The year after they cut the number of questions as so many hadn’t completed. But this was six years ago now. Sounds like the tutor is angling for more work or if it has crept into the exam in recent years like others have said pick your battles and don’t try and cover everything- it worked for DD. She never had to do another net or cube question ever again!
bridge

Post by bridge »

Always best to check the KS2 syllabus if in doubt: page 37

"Pupils use the term diagonal and make conjectures about the angles formed between sides, and between diagonals and parallel sides, and other properties of quadrilaterals, for example using dynamic geometry ICT tools."

The only reference I could find for it. I have not taught my children this other than in passing. Both did well so not sure I would teach it in any depth. I tend to find straying outside of KS2 can easily confuse.
elevenplusforum78

Thank you so much all -really helpful responses. :D I agree about not staring into year 7 as our tutor loves to do.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now