OOC (Orpington) Kent grammar options for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fmmg

OOC (Orpington) Kent grammar options for boys

Post by Fmmg »

While a couple of girls I know received an offer for TOGS on offer day back in March, by the end of July there are 6-7 girls from my daughter's Orpington primary who will be going to a Kent grammar (mainly Weald, Tonbridge campus or TOGS).

But of the boys I only know of one, going to TW Boys (Sevenoaks campus). He received his place on offer day.

I'm just wondering if TW Boys is the only realistic Kent grammar option for boys in Orpington, or if there are others? We may consider TW Boys but the travel is a concern as i believe there's no bus at the moment from Orpington, and actually the journey is not really possible if we were to be allocated the Tunbridge Wells campus - I am worried about this being a possibility given all the Weald places which were allocated to girls around here after offer day that I know of were for the Tonbridge site.
PettswoodFiona

Re: OOC (Orpington) Kent grammar options for boys

Post by PettswoodFiona »

You also have Dartford Grammar School for Boys, it does require a high score for OOC but there is a defined number of spaces for OOC boys and there is a private coach from Orpington to the Dartford and Wilmington Grammar schools.

I think the new TW annexe for boys is not well known of and so few applied from Orpington or OOC recently so judging how far it will go out in future years will be tricky based on the limited information available thus far. I know of parents with girls at Weald who live in Orpington and Petts Wood that organised a private coach. I know parents who have preferred the Tonbridge site as it is actually quicker to get to despite being further as it is a case of a fast train from Orpington to Tonbridge and then a walk from Tonbridge station.

TWGSB is only 15 mins walk from High Brooms station or a quick bus ride from TW station. 25 mins on the train from Orpington to High Brooms plus a 15 min walk, isn't too much if you aren't far from Orpington Station

Boys also go to Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar (Bexley test) from Orpington and Petts Wood and have traditionally got in on offer day or very shortly afterwards.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Thanks - Chis & Sid is tricky to get to for us. Beths is easier and came out to us on offer day, but with few spaces on the school bus I am looking at other options.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Yes plenty of boys go from Orpington to Skinners' (though not possible to get in without special circs now since admissions rules changed) and TW Boys is actually closer to High Brooms station. There are definitely some travelling from Orpington already, as it was already sometimes coming out that far even before the annex opened.

If your son is a very high scorer, Judd is the easiest to get to, just 20 min train and a 7 minute walk; it has about 20 places for OOC but fiercely competitive. Dartford is getting almost as difficult to get into though, and you'd be tied to the school bus, making after school clubs more difficult.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Thanks - yes I think TW boys would be only realistic option for us.
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

Fmmg wrote:Thanks - Chis & Sid is tricky to get to for us. Beths is easier and came out to us on offer day, but with few spaces on the school bus I am looking at other options.
The school coach from Orpington to Beths is going to be a larger one in Sept, due to the increase of students wishing to use the service, so I think you should be able to get a space, or maybe the school will put an extra coach on if there is enough demand. My son has been taking the coach for the past year, and it's a brilliant service. We didn't like Chis & Sid, and thought the journey was too difficult.

We absolutely loved Dartford Grammar from the open evening, and we thought we had a chance with a score of 395 for 2020 entry, but it wasn't enough (the cut off was 399 and we were 27th on the waiting list). We knew we pretty much had no chance with Judd (and we didn't like it anyway).

We have been really happy with Beths - it's definitely worth considering. Apparently it's easier to take the train from Orpington and change at Hither Green for Bexley rather than taking the public bus, if you don't manage to get a space on the coach. Good luck :-)
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

Thank you, this is hopeful about the Beths bus.
We decided against C&S for our daughter so won't be revisiting.
memphis

Post by memphis »

Sorrel wrote:Yes plenty of boys go from Orpington to Skinners' (though not possible to get in without special circs now since admissions rules changed) and TW Boys is actually closer to High Brooms station. There are definitely some travelling from Orpington already, as it was already sometimes coming out that far even before the annex opened.

If your son is a very high scorer, Judd is the easiest to get to, just 20 min train and a 7 minute walk; it has about 20 places for OOC but fiercely competitive. Dartford is getting almost as difficult to get into though, and you'd be tied to the school bus, making after school clubs more difficult.
Hi Sorrel, which train do the boys normally take from Orpington to High Brooms, to get to Skinners’ on time - is it the 7.57 or 7.40? What time do they need to arrive at school? Thank you.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Hi Memphis, they normally get the 7.40, which gets them there in plenty of time, but if that's cancelled or delayed, they can be just on time with the 7.57 if they hurry. It's 26 minutes from Orpington by the 7.40 (7.57 is a couple of minutes slower) and c 17-18 min walk. First period/ registration is 8.45 am.
Chismummy

Post by Chismummy »

Does anyone know how far Wilmington Boys Grammar went out this year?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now