My son has scored 365, out of county any chance?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ichayan

My son has scored 365, out of county any chance?

Post by ichayan »

My son has scored 365, we live out of county, any chance he would be accepted in any of the schools? We are willing to move to the area if that is what it takes for him to get into a good school. Any advise is highly appreciated.
ToadMum

Re: My son has scored 365, out of county any chance?

Post by ToadMum »

Looking at the Kent CC website, the admissions policies of grammar schools for which the AL is the admission authority are here:

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... 2-2023.pdf

and those which are their own admission authority, here:

https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... /?a=121177

From there, you should be able to see where the allocation of a place from where you are now is likely. If someone assured you that all the grammar schools just admitted in score order, unfortunately they have led you astray rather badly :( .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

You'll need to move by 1 Dec if you want to use a Kent address for your application, but all the schools have their own over-subscription criteria, so you'd need to check the criteria for each of the schools that you are interested in, e.g. the local areas for "inner area" for Dartford Grammar and Wilmington Grammar are different to those of Judd and Skinners. I'm afraid 365 would probably not be enough for inner area for Dartford or Judd, the OOC cut offs are even higher.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

365 would be fine for any of the schools that admit just on distance (usually also with a form of inner area), and it's above the 360 threshold for Skinners'. It's really a question of where you want to move to; where would work for the rest of the family too?
ichayan

Post by ichayan »

Thank you all for your valuable response. Considering his score, my daily commute to London and the prospects for his two younger sisters I narrowed down my options to

Skinners School- Turnbridge Wells
Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar - Turnbridge Wells
Gravesend Grammar for Boys
Wilmington Grammar for Boys

out of which I am leaning towards Skinners any feedback is highly appreciated.
Last edited by ichayan on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

ichayan wrote:Thank you all for your valuable response. Considering his score, my daily commute to London and the prospects for his two younger sisters I narrowed down my options to

Skinners Academy - Turnbridge Wells

You are not confusing Skinners Kent Academy with The Skinner's School are you? Skinner's Academy is not a grammar school. The Skinner's School is a grammar and their criteria is that you have to score 360 or above and then they take on distance. Last year the cut off was very small, something like 2 miles. It will tell you exactly on the school website. The Skinners school is fantastic, my son is in the 6th form now and has loved it and thrived there. Both schools are in Tunbridge Wells.
Sevenoaks mum

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

ichayan wrote:Thank you all for your valuable response. Considering his score, my daily commute to London and the prospects for his two younger sisters I narrowed down my options to

You may have dismissed it for other reasons but have you considered Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar but at the Sevenoaks Annex? It is on the same site in Sevenoaks as Weald of Kent Grammar school for your younger girls and Sevenoaks is a very easy commute into London for you.
ichayan

Post by ichayan »

Sevenoaks mum wrote:

You are not confusing Skinners Kent Academy with The Skinner's School are you? Skinner's Academy is not a grammar school. The Skinner's School is a grammar and their criteria is that you have to score 360 or above and then they take on distance. Last year the cut off was very small, something like 2 miles. It will tell you exactly on the school website. The Skinners school is fantastic, my son is in the 6th form now and has loved it and thrived there. Both schools are in Tunbridge Wells.
Thank you for pointing out the Skinners, honestly I was confused. It's skinners school I am after. I will try to rent something close to the school.
ichayan

Post by ichayan »

Sevenoaks mum wrote:

You may have dismissed it for other reasons but have you considered Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar but at the Sevenoaks Annex? It is on the same site in Sevenoaks as Weald of Kent Grammar school for your younger girls and Sevenoaks is a very easy commute into London for you.
I haven't dissmissed any at this point, this is exactly the advises I am after, I can't thank you enough. One thing I was worried is they only have 90 places. I can literally go to any place where a place is guaranteed in a good school.
ichayan

Post by ichayan »

from this document - https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... 22.pdf.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'‘If you have changed address or your child has changed
schools as a result of moving house, Kent County
Council will be able to amend applications up until
Friday 1 December 2021 provided you have an exchange
of contracts with completion date or a signed rental
agreement for the new property. It may not be possible
to submit these changes online.
I just spoke to Kent admissions team. I was told this applies only to application made in Kent. I am confused now, any idea.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now