Kent result - OOC and inside catchment - discrepancy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twmum2021

Kent result - OOC and inside catchment - discrepancy

Post by twmum2021 »

Hi,
My son was assessed not suitable for grammar school in Kent as he got scores as below:
English - 107
Reasoning - 121
Maths - 120.
Total = 348.

I understand that he got 2 marks less than the pass mark in English, but we have a friend who lives in Kent and her daughter got a similar scores.
Maths - 107
English - 120
Reasoning - 122
Total = 349
And she has been assessed suitable for grammar.

I find this very confusing. As per the pass mark criteria, she should be assessed as not suitable for grammar as well. Could it be because the criteria is different for people who live inside and outside of Kent area? That is the only difference I can see.

Is anybody else seen this before or this year? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
MrGrimes

Re: Kent result - OOC and inside catchment - discrepancy

Post by MrGrimes »

HTA (Headteachers Assessment). It is a review a headteacher can ask for prior to the results being published. Your friend will be aware their DC passed due to a HTA.
Fmmg

Post by Fmmg »

In case helpful, above the listed scores, where the results were the subject of a headteacher 'appeal' the wording said: "If your child did not reach the threshold score and their primary school referred their case to the local Head Teacher Assessment Panel, the panel will have looked at their achievement in school and examples of their work, including the writing task completed on the day, before a final decision was made" - this is from the 2020 notification email(OOC candidate). I understand that it is unusual (in the case of my child's primary school headteacher, at least) for the headteacher to request an assessment of a result where a child missed out on the threshold score by more than 1 mark and/or in more than 1 area but of course that may be that particular headteacher's stance.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Head teachers outside Kent are less likely to refer a result for a review I think, though they are able to.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

This can happen where the Kent headteachers are more familiar with the 'system' and will put forward a very very select few who don't get assessed as suitable for grammar and will argue in their favour to pass them. Some Headteachers outside of Kent may not know that this is an option, most on the border do.

It is worth checking if your son's headteacher did put forward a recommendation (not all recommendations by Head Teachers are approved) as that may have a bearing on whether you decide to go ahead with a more traditional appeal (rather than HTA) as it seems very close.
Read the guidance here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chismummy

Post by Chismummy »

PettswoodFiona wrote:This can happen where the Kent headteachers are more familiar with the 'system' and will put forward a very very select few who don't get assessed as suitable for grammar and will argue in their favour to pass them. Some Headteachers outside of Kent may not know that this is an option, most on the border do.

It is worth checking if your son's headteacher did put forward a recommendation (not all recommendations by Head Teachers are approved) as that may have a bearing on whether you decide to go ahead with a more traditional appeal (rather than HTA) as it seems very close.
Read the guidance here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is helpful. As you seem to be the oracle I wonder if you could suggest what I should do. We passed Bexley (not 180) and should be in the catchment for Chis and Sid (although not if it shrinks quite a bit and this is a very high birth rate and high sibling year) but were hoping to put TWGSB down also as may well come out to us with sevenoaks expansion. But we got 30 above passmark but 2 below in English (seems to be common this year) for the Kent exam and don't seem to have been given a headteacher appeal. We are on half term (2 weeks, Bromley state primary) but is it worth me emailing the school to see if they can do HTA for Kent in case we don't get Bexley- or is it too late now or unlikely? and then we should just wait till March and appeal if needs be?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Chismummy wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:This can happen where the Kent headteachers are more familiar with the 'system' and will put forward a very very select few who don't get assessed as suitable for grammar and will argue in their favour to pass them. Some Headteachers outside of Kent may not know that this is an option, most on the border do.

This is helpful. As you seem to be the oracle I wonder if you could suggest what I should do. We passed Bexley (not 180) and should be in the catchment for Chis and Sid (although not if it shrinks quite a bit and this is a very high birth rate and high sibling year) but were hoping to put TWGSB down also as may well come out to us with sevenoaks expansion. But we got 30 above passmark but 2 below in English (seems to be common this year) for the Kent exam and don't seem to have been given a headteacher appeal. We are on half term (2 weeks, Bromley state primary) but is it worth me emailing the school to see if they can do HTA for Kent in case we don't get Bexley- or is it too late now or unlikely? and then we should just wait till March and appeal if needs be?
Not an oracle, just been hanging around this site for many years! It is too late for a HTA for Kent, that happens before the results are given out which is why you saw the result of your friend's child as not passing on score but with the help of a HTA. Now that your son has received the Kent assessment you would have to go through the appeal route after the 1st of March. It is good to know the school would be on your side to support such an appeal, but means it isn't so urgent to worry about over half term. If TWGSB was your first preference then by all means put it down and when presumably your son doesn't qualify for a place you go for appeal for non-qualification as per the guidance in that link (there is also the option to appeal on other grounds) I posted. However bear in mind that if he is deemed qualified by the school then other oversubscription criteria like distance come into play so he could be deemed accepted but still not get in if the distance criteria doesn't reach you.

Then put Chis n Sid second, putting it second wouldn't harm your chances, it is whichever school was able to offer you the place.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Yes, you will now need to appeal the decision, Headteacher reviews are before the results are given to parents, that’s why schools get them first.

There is a very good appeals section on this forum. Etienne is very knowledgeable and helpful. I suggest you have a look at the Q&A section first.
Chismummy

Post by Chismummy »

PettswoodFiona wrote:
Chismummy wrote:

Not an oracle, just been hanging around this site for many years! It is too late for a HTA for Kent, that happens before the results are given out which is why you saw the result of your friend's child as not passing on score but with the help of a HTA. Now that your son has received the Kent assessment you would have to go through the appeal route after the 1st of March. It is good to know the school would be on your side to support such an appeal, but means it isn't so urgent to worry about over half term. If TWGSB was your first preference then by all means put it down and when presumably your son doesn't qualify for a place you go for appeal for non-qualification as per the guidance in that link (there is also the option to appeal on other grounds) I posted. However bear in mind that if he is deemed qualified by the school then other oversubscription criteria like distance come into play so he could be deemed accepted but still not get in if the distance criteria doesn't reach you.

Then put Chis n Sid second, putting it second wouldn't harm your chances, it is whichever school was able to offer you the place.

Thanks Fiona. Chis and Sid is definitely our first choice and has been for some years so I will wait until March.

Post by 121 »

Living outside Kent (in Bexley), our head teacher has in the past automatically appealed on the pupil's behalf for Kent when they are a few points below the passmark in Maths or Reasoning. Unfortunately, it has always been harder to appeal in English. Do check with your head teacher to see if they have or will appeal on your behalf, otherwise there is nothing to stop you from appealing by yourself (but you will find it easier with support from your school with evidence of historical performance and results in English). Best wishes.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now