Judd from blackheath commute

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kimoprimo

Judd from blackheath commute

Post by Kimoprimo »

Hello
Just wondering if anyone has ever commuted from blackheath to Judd. In theory the 7 20 train from Blackheath vian London Bridgegets there in time but I guess practically must be very hard with train delays etc
Would be grateful if anyone has any experience of this?
Thanks
mad?

Re: Judd from blackheath commute

Post by mad? »

I'm afraid I have no experience of that school journey. But every day of my life I spent commuting from Blackheath to London Bridge was a day of torture.
mad?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

That does sound a very tiring journey for a child, and the first leg would be busy with commuters too. And as you say you need to account for delays, so in practice he might need to take an earlier train to be safe.
Kimoprimo

Post by Kimoprimo »

True but many of our friends kids take 7 15 am school coaches etc.. So not sure a 7 20 train is that early... Anyway I dont really think it is doable but would be good to hear of anyone who has actually done this commute?
jnabhishek

Post by jnabhishek »

Can we please know past 10 or 5 years minimum and maximum cuttoff scores for inner area and outer area. We are currently living in Hertfordshire and willing to move. My son total score is 394, if we also get to know this year how was the result and chances of 394 to get through the Judd school with inner area catchment.
Thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

jnabhishek wrote:Can we please know past 10 or 5 years minimum and maximum cuttoff scores for inner area and outer area. We are currently living in Hertfordshire and willing to move. My son total score is 394, if we also get to know this year how was the result and chances of 394 to get through the Judd school with inner area catchment.
Thanks
I would post on either the results thread or start your own thread as your question will get lost in other threads.
scary mum
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

I can't comment on that particular journey but had a friend who taught at Judd for a bit - the younger boys travelling long distances often fell asleep in classes towards the end of the week, and had to do homework on the journey home in order to get it all done. It may be just about ok in Y7 and Y8 but think about the workload as they move up the school, getting home after matches, weekend fixtures etc.....
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

Kimoprimo wrote:True but many of our friends kids take 7 15 am school coaches etc.. So not sure a 7 20 train is that early... Anyway I dont really think it is doable but would be good to hear of anyone who has actually done this commute?
I think taking the train, with a change at busy London Bridge in the middle, would be a lot more tiring and stressful than taking a school coach, so they're not really comparable. My son takes a school coach at 7.40am, but we drop him at the bus stop and he gets dropped off at school 30 minutes later, so it's very easy.
doodles

Post by doodles »

This would be a journey of over an hour, including going into London Bridge and out again, plus a walk at the Tonbridge end. It's not a journey that I would chose for my DS. Don't forget it's not just about the school day, what about after school activities, clubs, friendship groups and Saturday matches. What may seem a doable journey on a lovely Autumn afternoon isn't going to be the same on a bleak January morning
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Kimoprimo,

DD had a similar commute for 5 years and adapted well to it BUT the trick with this commute will be how far from Blackheath Station you are and how reliable (and crowded) the Blackheath to London Bridge journey will be. The change at LB should be very easy. By contrast to the trip from Blackheath, the commute from LB to Tonbridge is a counter commute and quite comfortable - relaxing even. The walk from the station in Tonbridge can also be quite good.

A lot of Judd boys do take the train so there is the potential for making train friends. And the regular train service does allow for flexibility around after school activities. But having a commute to visit friends will affect the ability to hang out to some extent.

Overall, it might be manageable for the first few years but once workloads increase and teenage sleep patterns kick in it might be useful to think of switching to a London based school for 6th form (or moving closer to LB or Tonbridge).

HTH
PS
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now