Kent grammars TWBGS / Skinners / Wilmington / Gravesend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

domybest

Kent grammars TWBGS / Skinners / Wilmington / Gravesend

Post by domybest »

Dear all,

Really looking for last minute advice on Kent grammar choices, deadline for CAF submission is tonight!

My son scored 365 in Kent test but we are currently renting in SE London, a borough which has no grammar schools. However, I am happy to move, initially rent and eventually buy a house and Kent feels nice! So, looking into all the grammar options according to his score. I think he got just enough score for Skinners but they have changed there admission criteria and is now based on distance from school so moving now MAYBE will get a place there. TWBGS in Sevenoaks is about 18 miles in straight line from where we live now, so not sure that's living close enough to get a place if we apply from where we are now!

The choices for sec school where we live now: there are no grammar schools in my borough, we live just in the border of catchment area for an outstanding state secondary school here so no certainly of getting in unless we move closer to this school. Most of my son's primary school friends are going there so he prefers to go there too. Other secondary schools are so, so.. Regardless, he is happy to go anywhere too including Kent grammars.

Now, my dilemma is since he's passed Kent test, should I not give him the opportunity to go to a grammar school and move nearer to these grammar schools now? Also, I have another younger son who is quite bright so I am thinking moving to an area with grammar provision would be good for him too in the future. By going through as many threads I could find, I understand I can still move by Nov and inform about my move to KCC and he may be counted as in county application?

This is the first time I am going through all these application criteria and rules in detail, really understanding the complexity of this now, please help me decide! Shall I just stay where I am, maybe move closer to this state sec school to improve my chances of getting in or maybe move closer to Kent grammar school, if so not sure which one??

Just trying to do my best for my son, please help, many thanks in advance, mum..
hermanmunster

Re: Kent grammars TWBGS / Skinners / Wilmington / Gravesend

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi and welcome to the forum

It is leaving it all a bit late to read the admission policies and criteria, hopefully you will be able to make some decisions by this evening.

Some LEAs do allow people to submit address evidence up until December but not all of them so have to be very careful with this. Looks like KCC allow until 10th December
Whilst the closing date for KCC to receive applications
is Monday 1 November 2021, applications which are
submitted no later than Friday 10 December 2021 for a
good reason will be treated as “on time” if it is reasonably
practicable to accept them.
plus page 11 of this document https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... k-2022.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the LEAs like to see real commitment to the move ie the whole family in a property large enough for them all and occupied on a full time basis.

You might also need to consider where your child would go to school for the rest of year 6.

Sounds like you have to look at the policies carefully and check the distance etc and see what property is available and decide if you can get fully moved by Dec 10th
domybest

Post by domybest »

Thanks hermanmunster for your quick response! You have been very kind. Yes, regret leaving it late like this as was thinking of applying locally only but other friends and family suggested not giving up grammar school! So, this dilemma now- if we move nearer to Kent grammar then will have to travel at least an hr each way for school runs during Year 6- tiresome but doable but thinking it's for a year only with school holidays in between and if that means he will get in a good grammar school then maybe worth it?! :roll:

Also house prices in the area we live is extreme! Kent seems better, able to get more space with same price and our plan in very near future is to buy a house and settle down..

Argh now realise why so much fuss about secondary schools, hopefully would be better when applying for younger son.. any more help from others too would be appreciated please. thanks!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If the journey back to your DS's current school would involve an hour each way - with no obvious connection to e.g. your or your partner's place of work?, then be prepared for Kent CC to look very closely at whether you had, in fact, completely moved away from your old address. I would be tempted to start the in-year application process for a year 6 place now (and perhaps make sure that local non-selective schools in the area of the grammar you decide on were listed on your CAF, with one current local secondary school at the bottom in case the move goes pear-shaped) if I wanted to show that I was genuinely in the process of moving to an address in the grammar school priority admissions area.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
domybest

Post by domybest »

Thanks Toadmum for your advice. Yep, I read in some thread that places were withdrawn as there was suspicion where the child was living during year 6 but for us, it would be the whole family move, me and DH together and thankfully DH's not working currently so is ready to make the journey each day! However, spoke with DS and obviously he's not keen to move to another school in year 6, he is begging not to do that! Bless him! Ahh not easy at all.

Having said that, when we went to TW to get the feel of the place and look around Skinners / TWGSB, we both didn't particularly fell in love at first sight like we do when visiting places towards the periphery of SE/SW London! I don't know how to describe it as don't want to offend anyone and I have no intention to do so but just want to share so that I can be corrected if wrong. Basically, we felt it to be a bit rundown town with crowded houses or maybe not so vibrant. I had read about threads speaking of TW very highly and I always thought of moving there / to Kent so maybe my expectations were very high. Btw we didn't go to many places in TW, just around where the grammars are, and it was a cloudy day as well which didn't help! I am sure there are beautiful places with million dollar houses.. hmm.. but overall that was my first impression so adding more to the dilemma to moving! Please someone say it will be a wise decision to move there or some other place in Kent!