Information overload

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
itsme:)

Information overload

Post by itsme:) »

First post and wish to thank all for helping provide this source of information and then wish that I'd found it much sooner.

I've spent the last 2 days reading posts and trying to make sense of this, HT appeals, appeals, scores, standardised, raw... head hurts.

We are in the Gravesend area and our daughter scored 128, 134 and 114 (maths), we found out by mistake from her teacher who told us that she was "gutted" and that she had put in an appeal but was unsuccessful (I think she meant the HT had appealed).

After attending all the open days my D set her sights on the local Grammar School (Girls). Her teacher and HT both strongly recommended that she sit the 11+, she has been in level 5 in all areas for the last 3 years and twice won the HT award for her overall work and attitude.

Her 11th birthday was just last week and is the youngest, if not one of the youngest in her year.

The only help the school gave to those looking to take the 11+ was a single set of nfer old papers and "get more from WH Smith". I did ask the school if they could give more help and was told by the HT that she'd speak to the others to see if something could be arranged, but nothing happened except the sample papers given out 2 days before, the "mock" test to prepare them for exam conditions was, from all reports, a joke.

Of the 7 in the school that sat it only 1 passed, my child was next highest even beating the sole "winner" in 1 section (winner is not a good word I know :) )

To make matters worse she didn't even get offered her second choice yet a classmate much lower down in the sats got in because her sister is there. So my daughter is being penalised because we couldn't have more children?

My daughter is disappointed and wants us to appeal, so I suppose the question is not if we should but rather finding the best way to do it.

I would love to see historical data on the school for the 11+ as I don't feel they gave adequate support or am I expecting too much?

Would members here agree that appealing may be worthwhile?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cindy

Post by cindy »

I think that your stong point is her very good consistent academic ability.

I have not know of a head appeal that got through, I dont know why.

I think putting her current school down wont be as good evidence as her
own ability.

Cindyx
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Hello
I agree with Cindy that your daughter's past results may give you grounds for an appeal.

Please be aware, however, that Kent CC has requested that no Kent primary school should prepare children for the 11+ beyond the single set of familiarisation papers (normally taken about a week before the real thing). Your school has, therefore, just done as it was meant to do (and as most other schools have done). I don't advise, therefore, that you try to make that a point in any appeal!

About half of headteacher appeals succeed each year I believe, but they can only be made on certain specific grounds (e.g. that a child was ill or has shown rapid recent improvement ).
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi I just came back from the school run and thought I would add a bit.

I looked at preparing my appeal for my son, (who scored about the same as your son) as if it were court case evidence. Things that were absolute, proof
like all the SAT's results.
I imagine that a panel will consider all you say or show them. If you only stick to hard facts of ability, thier thought wont drift to opinion on things that are not relevant.

I did not realise that I could appeal to all schools on my list and then, if that didnt work I could appeal to those not on my list.
The more goals that you create, you are boud to score, as the saying goes.

good luck

Cindyx
itsme:)

Post by itsme:) »

Thanks to all replies,
I appreciate the point about what the school itself may or may not have done, my comments were more a chance to get it off my chest than looking to include in any appeal.
I had read in other posts the point about the limits that schools have in preparing children, just seems strange as when I took mine it was what we all worked towards. Times change.
So the work begins in organising the appeal :)

Edit @cindy, we posted at same time. Interesting point about applying to schools not on our list, I think we had already made the best choices without creating the need to move home but will certainly be worth looking again.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

[QUOTE=Cindy]I did not realise that I could appeal to all schools on my list and then, if that didnt work I could appeal to those not on my list.[/QUOTE]

You can indeed appeal against decisions not to award a place to your child on those schools on your CAF.

However, you cannot appeal to any not on your list of preferences. Can you imagine if that were possible? You could then appeal to any of the 101 secondary schools in Kent! :shock:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

Belinda wrote:I think what Cindy may be getting at is that after a certain date... End of March? (When all the appeals have to be 'in' by?) You can 'Apply' for a place at a school NOT listed on your CAF... This, naturally will be automatically turned down... You then 'appeal' against this decision... It is independent of the eleven plus process I believe. I'm sure a phone call to the LEA will confirm whether this is possible or not.
I can see where Cindy is coming from but the Appeals process only allows for appeals against decisions of schools that one has listed amongst their preferences...otherwise there is nothing to appeal against since a decision won't have been made for any schools not on the ranked preferences.

The co-ordinated scheme has a timetable for the three rounds of Appeals for the three preferences on the CAF.

There is just no legal facility to appeal against a decision not made. And an application to another school after the allocation process would be 'out of time.' It is only on these grounds that an appeal could conceivably be considered and it would be doomed to fail since the cut off date for applications is the preceding December.

Have a look at 'late applications' and see what the Code says. :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now