How DS/DD got on at Grammar if scraped through 1 subject

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MARC1

How DS/DD got on at Grammar if scraped through 1 subject

Post by MARC1 »

Hi, A friend has asked me to put to the forum how your child did or is doing in Grammar school if your child for instance did excellent in 2 of the 3 Kent subjects at 11 plus but only scraped through in either Maths or English (not both). (e,g Reasoning 135+, Maths 130+, English 110, or swap the Maths and English scores). Her child got high scores but scraped English. To that end she's wondering if people who have this situation encountered issues when the child entered grammar school or did it just 'sort itself out'. She is worrying if tutoring is going to be required or is this something that is common. I know its a general topic but she wanted it here and Bexley as that's where her child is expecting to go to Grammar. Hope it makes sense.
scary mum

Re: How DS/DD got on at Grammar if scraped through 1 subject

Post by scary mum »

There is a similar thread here, which might help your friend as I imagine the responses will be similar regardless of area.
scary mum
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

My child failed the 11 plus by one mark in one area, got in on appeal and gained mostly 9s at GCSE, got a handful of prizes and is doing really well in sixth-form (including in maths which was the subject failed at 11+), hoping to study medicine. I think the main thing to consider with a lower mark in English is whether there are any underlying SEN needs which Grammar Schools traditionally have tended not to address quite as quickly as other schools and without appropriate support it can be a miserable place in a grammar school. English is fundamental to quite a few secondary school subjects so it is worth identifying why that mark was lower and how to address it. Rather than just throwing money at tutoring I would get a dyslexia and Irlens assessment and see whether either of them explain some of the weakness. I would still go for a grammar school place because easier to move to a high school than the other way around.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Remember, even if they scraped by, they still passed!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now