Skinners vs Private school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Softy3010

Skinners vs Private school

Post by Softy3010 »

Hi

I was hoping for some advice , my DS has finished his 11 plus exam and we have given Skinners as first option , followed by Tunbridge Wells Boys, however he has also cleared the exams for private school I note that the recent ofsted inspection has brought Skinners grammar school ratings to good ,

I was wondering if anyone can share their thoughts or experience on the Skinners school ?Is Skinners very highly academic ?
What their thoughts were on Skinners Vs private schools, setting aside the financial aspect.

Thanks.
Last edited by Softy3010 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Skinners vs Private school

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Both schools are quite a way geographically apart so doubt someone will know both schools well to be able to compare. Do think about the commute. Also that grammar plus a bit of top of of extra curricular can be a powerful combination.

I had a friend's son who went to Trinity sixth form after attending a different grammar for Y7-11, Trinity being part of the Whitgift group of schools. Whilst Trinity is very academic the super-selective grammar was more so and the reason for the move was that he hadn't 'got in' to the sixth form of the grammar due to the higher requirements there.

DD is at a grammar after having been to an independent selective primary and the standards are very much higher at the grammar. The grammar is also more diverse and inclusive and the teachers more responsive than at the fee-paying school. However you could say that about comparing any school, independent or otherwise.

Re the rating, the previous one had been done in 2007 and OFSTED have made it clear that getting an outstanding will be harder and so more schools are finding they are not doing anything different but going from a rating of Outstanding to Good is the result.

When an inspection is taking place parents are invited to submit views and you may find the parentview portal gives you insight about what current parents think:
https://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/parent ... /128458/12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite telling 99% of parents (457 of whom bothered to reply which in itself says a lot) say their child is happy at Skinners - that is a very solid score!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Yes, Skinners' is still a great school and the sixth form provision was judged outstanding within that report. Also, because of the pandemic, Ofsted reports are taking no account of academic outcomes like GCSE and A Level results, simply what they observe on their visits. If they had been, Skinners' would perhaps have been outstanding again.
Coffeelover

Post by Coffeelover »

I agree with sorrel.

Skinners is a brilliant school.

I find it astonishing that it would not be considered outstanding.

However, there are some wonderful private schools but with the cost of living soaring I would not consider private, but that is because I simply could not afford it anyway and I am not sure I agree with it as an option but each to their own. I do know you said to leave aside the financial aspect but in this climate I don't think anyone but the very rich can discount finances.

Have you managed to visit skinners? I think it is wonderful and know some families who are happy with it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Softy3010 wrote:Hi

I was hoping for some advice , my DS has finished his 11 plus exam and we have given Skinners as first option , followed by Tunbridge Wells Boys, however he has also cleared the exams for private school I note that the recent ofsted inspection has brought Skinners grammar school ratings to good ,

I was wondering if anyone can share their thoughts or experience on the Skinners school ?Is Skinners very highly academic ?
What their thoughts were on Skinners Vs private schools, setting aside the financial aspect.

Thanks.

So, was your DS offered Skinners on March 1st? If so, will he be going there in September, or have you taken a private option?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now