Weald vs Tonbridge Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smithee

Weald vs Tonbridge Grammar

Post by smithee »

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed in great depth before but I can't find anything! My daughter has been offered TOGs but I am now beginning to worry about the amount of academic pressure that may be put on her. I'm also not 100% certain about the IBs - is there any disadvantage when it comes to university applications? I worry that admissions may assume that the school is private (which can go against them these days!). However it was her favourite when we looked around.

If we declined TOGs, I assume we would be quite likely to get Weald in the next round? Do I have to decline TOGs to go on the waiting list for Weald? (No decisions made yet, just wondering what the process would be!)

Also, is there any reason why TOGS no longer appears to come up as one of the top grammar schools - I know the lists use different criteria, so just curious as Weald often comes above.

So.... any feedback on either school greatly appreciated (good or bad)

Thanks!

Smithee
scary mum

Re: Weald vs Tonbridge Grammar

Post by scary mum »

I worry that admissions may assume that the school is private
They will know what type of school it is, no need to worry about that.
If we declined TOGs, I assume we would be quite likely to get Weald in the next round? Do I have to decline TOGs to go on the waiting list for Weald? (No decisions made yet, just wondering what the process would be!)
It will depend if Weald is over-subscribed (I'm not from your area). If you decline TOGS you will not be offered another school as the local authority will have done their job in offering a school. You must accept the offer and if you want to go on the waiting list for the other school you will have to request this, you are not automatically put on a waiting list for a school lower in your list of perfeernces than the one you were allocated (as the assumption is that you have put them in your genuiine order of preference).

Others will answer your more school specific questions.
scary mum
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Yes, don't decline TOGS but you should be able to go on the waiting list for Weald. Are you nearby to have a good chance of a place on reallocation?

A fair number of people leave and go elsewhere at sixth form if they want to do A Levels, so I wouldn't worry too much about IB at this stage.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Please don't worry about IB v A levels, so much will change over the next few years for your daughter. 6th form is a long way off and many many students change school for yrs 12 and 13. It's a whole different ball game and I wouldn't let it affect your choice for yr7.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
BR5mum

Post by BR5mum »

You'll need to accept your TOGS offer, and then apply to go on the waiting list for Weald, the deadline is 15 March:
https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... hool-offer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can only apply to go on the waiting list for schools that were on your original application, but interestingly, they don't have to have been ranked above the school you were offered (this wasn't the case when I did it 2 years ago).

I'm guessing TOGS is below Weald on ranking lists because it does IB, not A-levels (it's usually missing from ranking lists which are generally done on A-level results).
KHmummy

Post by KHmummy »

I don’t have direct experience of TOGS as I have a son who is ex Judd. However, don’t worry about IB as if your daughter decides she would prefer to study A levels she will have the opportunity to transfer to a different school. A lot of TOGS girls transfer to Judd to do this and fit in very well.

My son has several ex TOGS girls as friends and yes, they are high achievers, but from my experience the are all lovely, well adjusted happy girls. Should your daughter decide to do IB that won’t disadvantage her at all when it comes to applying to Uni. In fact, one of my son’s TOGS friends is now studying law at Kings whereas my Judd son who studied A levels and did just as well as her was rejected.

From personal experience I’d say go for the school which your daughter has chosen as she will be the one going there every day. My son loved Judd the second he walked in and he loved every minute of his seven years there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now