Appeals?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mum007

Appeals?

Post by Mum007 »

OK, call me paranoid! Just right at the moment I cannot see DS passing although it has been suggested that my DS is capable of the work at a grammar school. Perhaps everyone is feeling like this with two days left before return to school and then we are right on top of the tests?!

School visiting for the non-selective schools starts soon - scary stuff.

Could someone please point me in the right direction for information about the appeals process this year? It will no doubt have changed because the results of the 11+ are known before school selection.

Sorry, just can't cope anymore.

Many thanks. :cry:
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Well the way I understand it is this......

In between taking the test and the results on the 20/10, your headteacher has the chance to appeal - although this does seems very tight! Please someone correct me if I am wrong on this. If you are unsuccessful, you can still name a grammar on your CAF. You will then have to wait until the 02/03 to get your letter, in which you will have been turned down for the grammar school. However, you can then start the appeal process, which will follow the usual timing that has been in place.

The problem with the early testing, is that one will have a very long wait in which to have the chance to appeal. I would imagine it's just the sort of thing you would want to get off your chest asap. However, at least one will have plenty of time to gather whatever evidence theyl need and how they want to go about wording it.

Anyway, hopefully, in your case, this will never happen - good luck!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

MIght be worth e-mailing KCC they are very helpful.
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Many thanks for your replies.

I appreciate your best wishes kentmum1. I hope you too are successful in your quest.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

This is taken from Annex A of the Proposed Admissions for this year:

13. Following the marking and the application of the Head teacher assessment stage, on 20 October 2008 the LA will write to parents advising of the assessment decision. Parents will have until 7 November 2008 to return their completed SCAF. There will be no right of appeal against the outcome of a child’s assessment, but parents may make an admission appeal after 2 March 2009 to the independent appeal panel if their child is refused admission to any school.

This indicates that appeals after 02/03/09 only.
Hope this helps
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

This seems a bit silly because surely the reason for bring the whole 11+ forward was to get the marks early and have the whole "which school to choose" scenario easier. Thats fine but if you need to appeal the whole process why leave it so long?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I guess it's the only way they can keep the whole system in line with the non-selectives. You need to see what offers you will receive first from the whole system before making your decision to appeal to perhaps more than one school, be it selective or even the non-selective you may have been hoping for as an alternative. At least by waiting you will know what alternatives you may have and whether you really want to appeal or not. I think whole reason of bringing the 11+ forward was simply to make it a bit easier in making what few choices you have on the CAF.

We are just the guinea pigs this year - there are bound to be some drawbacks which can hopefully be refined over the next couple of years.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Also, a big complication is the fact that even if your child does pass, no-one will know what the cut-off is going to be for the highly selectives until all the CAFs are in, so I don't see how those schools could carry out any appeals any sooner. I think they do need to keep it under the existing timing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now