Confused and worried about my daughter`s chances :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Son has told me that the maths paper had the notorious 'milkman/postman' question on it, (has been buzzing around my mind every since!) which I think may be 11D, as this is the one practice paper we didn't complete but I remember it from son 1. Can anyone enlighten me on which paper it is? It also had the algebra question regarding what the boy's age will be in 14 years from now if he was x age 7 years ago (or something like that!)
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

In fact, does anyone have that milkman/postman question that they could post on this thread (with answer!). It will stop it from whirring around my head all day. Unfortunately, I recycled mine a couple of weeks ago, when son was at combustion point!!!
jnadams2

Post by jnadams2 »

Again, thanks for all the advice

I'm just about to sit down with my DD and go through some maths terminology! Decided against doing any more papers as I think we're done with that and I think it will simply increase her anxiety!

I do believe though that they will have to lower the pass level as they're taking it so much earlier. My DS sat his in January a few years ago (he's currently in Year 10) and his maths knowledge was definitely further advanced.

Anyway, nothing more I/we can do now, what will be will be!!

Julia
best for son

Post by best for son »

Julia.

Your exactly right. What will be will be. Remember we are all very strssed out at the moment. I keep telling DS If you pass great, but all you can do is your best and you will still do well wherever you go.

Like you I also have another DS in year 11 and he took his test in January in Gravesend. My only concern is the number of children taking test this time, although I really believe DS number 2 will do well whichever school. Remember they are bright able childrem and as parents we will do our best to support them.

Good luck to you and everyone else next week. Keep sane and hang on in there.

Love best for son
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

jnadams2 wrote: I do believe though that they will have to lower the pass level as they're taking it so much earlier.Julia
Please remember, there is no pass level! Just the top 20 or 25% are considered successful. Therefore if the whole cohort do 'worse' than last year it makes no difference, the top % group are still selected.

The fact that it is earlier, in my opinion, makes no difference as everbody takes at the same time.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have to agree with Medway Mum, everyone is in the same boat.

I think I prefer the September test at least you will know the results before applying for secondary schools.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yoyo, if you get an answer from Kent about writing on the question paper, using scrap paper etc, please can you also ask the same person if schools are allowed to use a real 11+ paper the following year as a practice paper.

Earlier in this thread it sounds as though a parent is convinced that this is what their school has done. If NFER/LEA themselves recycle many questions over the years, this is giving an advantage to those who are at schools that do this with the real 11+ papers.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes I will. I;ll ask the head at my "supply school" too.

As far as I am aware the Practice Paper is one of teh 4 nfer ones available in shops though.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Thank Yoyo. Yes that is what I thought too about the practice papers administered at Kent schools. They are just the NFER practice papers that the LEA recommends one use at home anyway.

A few people on this website seem to have children who have been upset by the practice papers this week. It seems a shame, as I think they are really just intended to be a practice sitting down in the exam room doing a paper of that format. I don't think schools / candidates / parents should be looking at the percentage achieved and worrying about this, particularly as for most parents on this site they will be questions that they have probaby already done at home anyhow.

Good luck everyone in the real thing.
shuff

Post by shuff »

perplexed wrote:Yoyo, if you get an answer from Kent about writing on the question paper, using scrap paper etc, please can you also ask the same person if schools are allowed to use a real 11+ paper the following year as a practice paper.

Earlier in this thread it sounds as though a parent is convinced that this is what their school has done. If NFER/LEA themselves recycle many questions over the years, this is giving an advantage to those who are at schools that do this with the real 11+ papers.
I would be shocked to hear that past 11+ papers are used for mock tests, I thought they were highly secretive about them. That is why they keep churning out the same 4 papers year after year and not publishing ex-papers! If this is the case then it would be a massive insight, and advantage to those children using it, into the true paper, which I hear from my own children, is harder than practice ones.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now