Finishing in time!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tonbridgemum

Finishing in time!

Post by tonbridgemum »

Do anyone elses children have problems in finishing the papers in time? My son never seems to be able to finish even though i have gently insisted that he needs to 'crack on!'
He did the practice papers today and of course said he missed around 8 questions on VRand NVR.
I am so paranoid that he will leave huge gaps at the end when he runs out of time and obviously wont speed up now....(yes,he is a youngy!)
Is this a common problem or is he just slow?! :?
ergo

Post by ergo »

My child sat practice tests and had lots of time left over. This really worried me as she is usually very slow and yes is very young too. I know it was only a practice but she is not very good at reading questions properly either.

My older child sat it last time and was always much more thorough and quick but on the day she made a hefty mistake by filling in the answersheet incorrectly and had to redo most of her answers. It was all fine but she works well under pressure.

This time round I am concerned that dd won't finish in time and my consequently panic but there is nothing I can do to prepare her and I really don't want to worry her now especially as she was so relaxed after having time in the practice tests. I am sure andrenalin kicks in on the day and speeds them up a bit. Good Luck.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Just make sure he marks down a response for the questions he has not completed - one in five chance of being correct without reading anything.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Thanks Belinda - a good tip. :)
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I agree that it is sensible to guess any unknown answers but do be aware that children may not be given a warning (especially in NVR) before being told to put down their pencils. Unless you want them watching the clock (or are prepared to tell them to disobey an order to stop!) you might want to qualify your advice with the words "if you can".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now