Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shuff

Post by shuff »

Kent were very helpful, but did insist first time of calling that we get them from the school. It was a ping pong effect and extremely stressful!
One Down

Post by One Down »

I have e-mailed a very helpful lady in admissions to ask who to contact to get results/scores if the letter doesn't come on Tuesday and there is noone in school. Will let you know when she emails me back. Best to be prepared, rather than stressed out on the day trying to get info. DD2 really needs to know before she goes to her evening club, as everyone else will probably know by then and it will upset her to be the only one who doesn't know.
Anyone else having problems getting logged into the Kent Online Admissions database??
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

It would save the schools, and KCC an awful lot of time if they just got some simple system together where people were sent a letter or e-mail from KCC with pass-fail,and the standardised score, and maybe even the raw scores too. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man and would be much better than all these piecemeal conversations at schools, over the phone to KCC and invidual e-mails constructed by co-operative KCC officers.

Anyone know the Director of Education?!!
shuff

Post by shuff »

perplexed wrote:It would save the schools, and KCC an awful lot of time if they just got some simple system together where people were sent a letter or e-mail from KCC with pass-fail,and the standardised score, and maybe even the raw scores too. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man and would be much better than all these piecemeal conversations at schools, over the phone to KCC and invidual e-mails constructed by co-operative KCC officers.

Anyone know the Director of Education?!!
Couldn't agree with you more perplexed!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Nah, that would be far too simple!! And what about all those poor civil servants it would do out of a job?!!

Seriously though what on earth is the "big secret" about teh scores, why don't they just tell us? We all want to know and will all try to find out so why not just add a para to teh letter?
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

I totally agree. If like us, you are in an area where your only options are the ‘super selectives’, then a simple pass or fail is no good at all. We also cannot afford to spend 2 or 3 days trying to get the scores from KCC as our CAF form has to be in the same week the results are out.

Luckily as we will already be on half term that week, our Head has promised she will be in the office so we can ring and get our scores straight away. I think it is ludicrous that some Heads will not give out scores, they must realise that some of us need these in order to make the right choices for our children. I also cannot see any reason why KCC do not just put the scores in the letter to save everyone (including themselves) a lot of inconvenience.
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

Agreed. What a waste of everybody's time not to add the scores on the letter. Extra phone calls, letters, emails and general stress do not make any sense these days. We are supposed to be saving the planet, not adding to our carbon footprint.

We live on the border of Tonbridge & Maidstone so the marks are very important.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

just a thought ......... now that you can put 6 schools on the CAF (is that right?) and it's an equal preference system, just how important are the actual marks? Hopefully you'll know DC has passed so it's worth putting down at least one grammar school. So the question is whether to put down a super-selective or not. For boys this could "waste" two spaces _ Judd and Skinners, and for girls, just one TGS. When there are six spaces on the form how critical is this? Are there really that many other school possibilities for you that are always oversubscribed and therefore need to go on the CAF (no point in worrying about putting a school that is never full on the CAF as you'll always get a place there outside the normal admissions process)

I'm genuinely asking the question - not trying to suggest it is not important.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

In my situation it makes all the difference. We are not in the catchment area of any grammar schools at all and in Bromley LEA. TGS and Newstead are super selective and the only other chance we would have is Wilmington, Dartford and TW Grammar that although select mainly on area, also take the top 10%ish regardless of distance. Therefore, unless we know our score is very high (top 10%ish), we would be wasting our time putting down any of these schools even if DD passes.

What a system!!!!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

4 choices on CAF in west kent ,but good point anyway Perplexed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now