Statistics for this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

The 25% comes from 25% of the total cohort in Year 6, not 25% of children sitting the test. About the same number of children will pass, but many more will "fail" compared to previously.
wonderingmum

Post by wonderingmum »

Thank you....that makes so much sense I feel silly for even asking! :oops:
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

You were not alone, wondering mum! I too was wondering how it would work and then though "Doh" when we were enlightened!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I also confused - thank you, is reassuring. I think!
One Down

Post by One Down »

As far as I know, the nos. of children taking the 11+ are:-
2007 entry: 6300
2008 entry: 9000-9500 (increase due to no '1st preference 1st')
2009 entry: 11675 (increase due to results before school choice)

This looked bad for us, but, on thinking about it, I realised that these extra takers were not a pool of additional mega-bright children dropped in to Kent from a spaceship (maybe fom Bexley or Medway?? :lol: - only joking - not many extra OOC candidates this year.) These extra children are the ones already in our children's classes who would not usually have taken the 11+. So if more from the same pool are taking it, the effect should be much less. Some borderline children may be replaced by some who would not have taken the test, but the vast majority passing will be those who would have passed in previous years. Makes me feel better anyway!
So aggravating to know the schools know already.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I was talking to a lady at TWBG this week, asking her if she had any idea what the chances of my DS getting a place there this year (we are out of county). She said more than ever took it from out of county, in fact whereas usually they use T. Wells boys and girls grammars, this year they had to open up Judd too.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I wonder why there were so many more out of county applicatns this year then? AFAIK most Sussex children have to pass incredibly high to get a grammar place in West Kent so you would not have thought that the change to the system would mean that many more would opt for it as it seems that most of the extra applicants are those that would otherwise have played safe and opted for Bennett. If you are in Sussex, was it the case that if you took the 11+ you could not apply for Sussex schools and has that now changed?

11 days to go ...
shuff

Post by shuff »

I think that the main reason more people than ever applied out of county was because of the publicity from the LEA surrounding the changes this year. Normally in our school nobody breathes a word about the 11+, but because this year we had leaflets and reminders, I think it drew attention to it. I would imagine if it is a last minute thought for these extra kids then they might not be up to scratch on then VR and NVR. Having said that, having practised the NVR for a year, my DS thought it was extremely hard, so who knows what to expect. Roll on 21st!!!
shuff

Post by shuff »

Just out of interest, my DS told me last night that one of the questions in the maths paper was 'How many meters in 2 kilometers'? Now that does sound like a SATS question!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now