11+ appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ssbjham

11+ appeal

Post by ssbjham »

Hi,Does anybody know if you can appeal the result of the Kent 11+ test.
My son got the past mark of 360 with VR being 137 but really bombed on the NVR 105 which was very unexpected as he has always been around the 120 mark.Found out today that my Headteacher is behind us all the way and did do a HT appeal but was unsuccessful. I know that we have to wait until 2/3/2009 to appeal to the schools but was wondering if there is any process that we can go through before the scaf paper has to be in?
Thanks
pemburydad

Post by pemburydad »

Sorry about your son, that's a tough one.

According to the admission document, the answer is no. If the headteacher appeal has failed, you can only appeal the school after 2nd March.

Good luck
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Thank you I did think that, clutching at straws really not sure I can wait until March!!!!
travelling man

Post by travelling man »

It has got quite complicated and somehow more rigid this year I believe.
If I were you I would contact KCC for the proper answer.

Having said that, my understanding is that if the HT has appealed the answer is no, unless you have grounds to believe the HT appeal was not carried out in a fair fashion.

You can appeal to a grammar in the Spring but I don't believe the school can approve an appeal based on not passing the test. It has to be on their other criteria.

I hope for your sake my understanding is wrong.
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

The Headteacher argued the case that my son did achieve the pass mark of 360 and so therefore had not technically failed.
I will ask KCC .Does anyone know if the Headteachers can appeal more than once?The reason I am asking is that I mentioned to the HT (through my tears) about issues in our family life which she was not aware of until NOW.
Thanks
shorty101

Post by shorty101 »

Sorryto have to tell you, but your headteacher cannot appeal again. However youcan try for a school supported appeal to the school of your choice in March. Make sure you still put a grammar on your scaf. I know it will be a long and painful wait but there is hope.
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Having said that, my understanding is that if the HT has appealed the answer is no, unless you have grounds to believe the HT appeal was not carried out in a fair fashion.

Any ideas how I would find out if it was not carried out in fair fashion
Thanks
ssbjham
travelling man

Post by travelling man »

Hi ssbjham

I now hear/read quite different information about the appeals against the Kent test result. What I said apparently applies to Medway but opinions seem divided about whether it applies in Kent so my apologies if the earlier post was misleading.

shorty101 is right - according to the admissions book you cannot appeal the test result as such but you can apply to a grammar school on the SCAF form even if you have not passed. They will not offer you a place on 2 March but you can then appeal against that decision and it will be decided by an independent panel - who can consider the pass/fail aspect.

Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now