Levels of geekiness: comparing St.Olaves, Judd, Skinners

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shuff

Post by shuff »

My strategy is to make a huge deal of the school he gets into, then do all the waiting list, appeal stuff quietly. I know wherever he ends up going, he'll love.
I get results on Tuesday so please let us know what happens with you so I can gauge what will happen to us.
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

Sent you a PM.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

tired_dad_2008 wrote:
@Villagedad: Yes we went to TWBGS twice in fact. But we live north of Sevenoaks and it is unlikely we would get a place there, and it is as inconvenient as Skinners to get to. It felt like a large school with more normal, well-rounded boys. It had a more relaxed atmosphere than the others I described, which wouldn't suit my son since he is a lazy so and so who needs lots of pressure and discipline otherwise he coasts along.
This was a concern of mine with Son No.1, in Y8, who was keen to go to TWBGS, as I thought he also had lazy tendencies and can quite understand your thoughts. However, I have been extremely impressed with his progress there and he always seems highly motivated and determined to get a high assessment every term, which he does. His down-to-earth character actually seems to do better with those teachers who are 'human' and have a sense of humour, etc, rather than those who are over strict. They seem to bring out the best in him and he seems to want to please them. I also think that much success comes from parental expectations. If you have a child who wants to make you proud, then that is half the battle, regardless of what school they go to.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

tired_dad_2008 wrote:
@Villagedad: Yes we went to TWBGS twice in fact. But we live north of Sevenoaks and it is unlikely we would get a place there, and it is as inconvenient as Skinners to get to. It felt like a large school with more normal, well-rounded boys. It had a more relaxed atmosphere than the others I described, which wouldn't suit my son since he is a lazy so and so who needs lots of pressure and discipline otherwise he coasts along.
This was a concern of mine with Son No.1, in Y8, who was keen to go to TWBGS, as I thought he also had lazy tendencies and can quite understand your thoughts. However, I have been extremely impressed with his progress there and he always seems highly motivated and determined to get a high assessment every term, which he does. His down-to-earth character actually seems to do better with those teachers who are 'human' and have a sense of humour, etc, rather than those who are over strict. They seem to bring out the best in him and he seems to want to please them. I also think that much success comes from parental expectations. If you have a child who wants to make you proud, then that is half the battle, regardless of what school they go to.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Sorry for repeat of message but submission of messages very slow tonight (understandably!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now